CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 18, 2005, 02:10 PM

Default Wireless Networking Query

sponsored links

I'm thinking of buying a wireless router but I'm clueless about all ofthis.

I have a desktop which has a wired broadband connection and a laptop which is wireless enabled.

The question is.. what do I need to buy? Do I need a wireless network card for my desktop or does this connect to the router through an ethernet cable?

Please help!

Cheers!
Old Jun 19, 2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballisticbane
I'm thinking of buying a wireless router but I'm clueless about all ofthis.

I have a desktop which has a wired broadband connection and a laptop which is wireless enabled.

The question is.. what do I need to buy? Do I need a wireless network card for my desktop or does this connect to the router through an ethernet cable?

Please help!

Cheers!
I've got a similar(ish) setup and am running with a Netgear router which has 4 ports built in, so I can hard wire to my desktop PC, the wireless is taken care of by wireless enabled laptop and the kids PC is taken off a hard cable.

Got it dirt cheap cos its using the older 11b (I think thats right) instead of 11g (the new stuff)