CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:26 AM

Angry The Specified network name is no longer valid

sponsored links

Hi Guys

I'm trying to setup a new media server for someone (just using xp pro) but im getting an error when trying to access various files of diferent lengths from ny one of the clients, be it either a laptop which shows "The Specified network name is no longer valid" or the Xbox which just freezes (its error handling isn't as advanced as windows).

After acknowledging the dialogue on the laptop client I can then re-open that browse box fine with no delay or issue - i still can't copy the offending files though.

This mostly happens on files that are for xbox fonts and finish with .XPR (skin fonts). Having said that, I tried to watch Sahara (3 VCD's) and that was fine until I hit the last VCD and that failed. For example I have copied all of XBMC (a few thousand files of various lengths, a few bytes to 5 meg) and one of the couple of files that won't copy is only 132k in size (.xpr)!

Now here's the details:

The files which get stuck are of diferent types and lengths and just will not network copy using smb or FTP over Wifi - i [B]CAN[/B] copy them when cabled.

The files are not corrupt and can be copied/deleted/viewed/edited on the server. Its not an NTFS security issue. Event logs show no information regarding to this on either the media server or laptop.

The network is Linksys broadband WRT54GS wifi hub, Linksys PCI card (for the desktop) and Intel Pro (built on to the Fujitsu/Siemens laptop) wifi card. The network goes no-where near capacity during any streaming events - for example i happiliy streamed the DVD VOBS for Monsters Inc last night with no issues.

The Xbox is using XBMC. The laptop and server are both XP Pro SP2 patched up to the very latest levels.

I've run this through google and technet without any luck. Two MCSE's and I can't solve it, so i'm looking for a self-taught guru with a stroke of genius to save me (and my hair!).

Please, someone save me!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:02 PM

Talking

A couple of things to think about:

1. Wireless Encryption - try turning it off
2. Firewalls - Either disable or ensure fully trusted on the local network
3. The specified network name is invalid issue - are you statically assigning or DHCP'ing. Try Static.

Try to put the two devices within line of sight to ensure walls/doors etc aren't blocking signal.

Obviously if this works wired then it's when you go wireless that you suffer, so it's not hardware or transmitting when wired that is the issue.

That's all for now maybe more later.

Last edited by michaelcomputer; Sep 26, 2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 02:21 AM

Hey MC

thanks for the responses.

It gets a crystal clear connection at "Excellent" or 54meg to you and I! I don't run encryption and I do not have firewalls. These were my first thoughts.

A Cisco enginer friend of mine has said that I should drop the packet size to less than the frame size as he has seen some issues in the past where equipment cannot handle the downsizing of the packets from the larger ethernet to the smaller wifi (or the other way around). I will give this a try tonight and see how it goes.

Cheers
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:37 AM

Simplest of all things. Turned out to be the firmware on the router. Updated to the lates version and all copying is now ok.

Cheers anway!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 07:19 PM

Talking

No probs glad to be of service.