CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 15, 2005, 03:35 AM

Question Help needed - Multimedia CD for Mac and PC

sponsored links

I'm a drama student looking to produce a CD portfolio of my university work to send to people in the hope of getting a summer placement with a theatre or tv company. Given that the 'standard' for the media world seems to be Mac, I'm looking for a way to create a CD with images, text, audio and video that will be accessible to both pc and Mac users (I have a pc and have to assume that some of them will have too).

Can anyone help me with the following questions:
what format should the CD be in (ISO9660, Joilet, other)?
how to create a setup that will run the CD as soon as it is inserted in a Mac (like Windows 'autorun.inf') if that is possible?
can I create the CD using Nero 6 or will I need other software?

I've burned a few audio and video CDs before, but I'm not an expert by any means and have no experience with Macs (to my shame )

Any help would be gratefully received.
Old May 16, 2005, 08:00 AM

i haven't actually done this before but ISO9660 should work (someone should point out if i'm wrong but i am pretty sure i am not).
It is possible to have a cd autorun (its possible with quicktime but you would need the pro version). I presume your content is not all quicktime though. May also be possible using macromedia.
Nero 6 will be fine to burn the disk.
hopefully someone else who has actually done this will provide more info
HTH

Yoshi
Old Sep 29, 2005, 07:02 AM

I am also doing something similar with a cdrom, im having problems making the cdrom work on mac, as its essentially a webpage on a cd with embedded WMV9.. although when trying to serve the pages via file:///Volumes/etc/etc/etc/ the windows media player wont play them, and gives the error file path or type incorrect.. of course i have checked the paths and when serving the files over my local web server they all work fine..

its only on cd that the problems arise..

anyone have ideas? if i complete i will post details..

gracias.

Last edited by shooka; Sep 29, 2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2005, 03:10 AM

I know this may sound a trite patronising but have you got the version of Windows Media Player. WMP on the mac can be a little dodgy at the best of times. I find that in OS 9, WMP conflicts with a bunch of extensions and was really unstable.
Make sure the plugins are properly installed. What browser are you using?

Yoshi