CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 08, 2005, 06:08 AM

Default Wireless connection of 2 buildings

sponsored links

Hi all,
I want to connect two remote office buildings wirelessly, since they are that far away that wires are not a good idea.
The distance is not more than 500meters in straight line(something like 1/4 mile) but the roofs of the two buildings are not visible from each other, since taller buildings interfeer.
I know its possible and fairly easy to connect them when there is a point of view between them, but in this case i am not so sure. I also know that for wider areas, u can use other types of connections where point of view is not an issue.
The botom line here is: can i connect two buildings wirelessly when there is not a point of view between them?
thanks, Ilias
Old Oct 09, 2005, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up

You need to be looking at 802.16a standards 5Ghz and more for this kind of thing. Although line of sight is very beneficial you need greater distance coverage when you don't have LOS.

This company seems to offer a solution:[URL=***********.solectek.com/sol.php?page=products]Solectek - (NB I am in no way affiliated with this company) Check out there 5000 & 7000 series products.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 04:42 PM

Thanks mate, I had a look at the company already
So,LOS is not as neccesery as i thought. I will look into it more carefull.
cheers
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:38 PM
Veteran

wow 5Ghz, dont you need a home office licence to go that high ? make sure you ask the rite questions before you buy ! and that will be big bucks so a practical demo would be very useful, I found the demo models they show you are the dogs bollox, make sure what you get in the box is the same as the demo units