CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:46 AM

Question two wireless router together?

sponsored links

I currently have a NETGEAR WGR614 four port wireless router in my basement office. I recently acquired a D-Link 802.11g AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router and would like to connect it to the NETGEAR router via a ethernet cable and therefore sort of use it as basically as a switch on the main level of my house. This way I would not only have more ethernet ports available, but maybe also increase the wireless range & get a better signal for several laptop PCs that are located on the main level. Is this possible?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 05:42 PM

Talking

May I suggest this:
[URL=***********.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-1903628-3746526]Amazon Search For Homeplug

It's an oldish technology called Homeplug. This is how it basically works:

Main DSL Link - Wireless Router - Homeplug - Anywhere in your house that has a Mains Electrcial Socket means you can plug the other Homeplug in and hey presto you have a wired network point. Completely safe and no loss of signal. You can then plug your other Wireless Router into your secondary Homeplug and you have wireless access in another room, or in any other room were you plug your secondary Homeplug. Or even have a Homeplug in every room it doesn't matter. Just plug the secondary wireless router into the Homplug in whatever room you have the Homeplug connected to your Mains Electricity Socket.

Sorry to ramble but I'm quite passionate about Homeplug as you can probably tell.

Last edited by michaelcomputer; Sep 26, 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:19 PM

Or, if you just run the cable (which I believe allows a faster data transfer rate especially if you live in an old house with poor wiring), you can set up the other wireless router as a second WAP, but when moving around in your house you might have to switch from one to the other depending on signal strength...