CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:02 PM

sponsored links

I had no experience of electronics before (except from school). I have now chipped 10 ps2's without blowing any. All chips work I have only had one problem and that being a wire snapped after putting all ps2 back together. The machine worked but didn't play backups. I opened her back up and fixed the problem.

I use a 15w soldering iron, a 0.1mm point tip, a cheap low melting cored solder (~0.7mm), 30 awg kynar wire and 22 awg wire for gnd and voltage. All from Farnel except Kynar wire, from darkplanets. I also have some desoldering braid but havn't had to use any yet. I also find it easier to solder to the via's, where possible. I use magic v3.1+ and duo 2 se chips.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 04:49 PM

yes anyone can do it. remember there is always 1st time for everybody.

you need basic electronics knowledge and skills, the right tools for the job too. steady hands and most of all guts.

with reduced wires count on late mod chips, you dont need the razor blade method anymore.

sod the messiah1 on V3, never tried it.

i only use fine tip 12W antex soldering iron and a broad tip 15W for power cables.

my problem now is fungus growing on the solder sponge. why this happens?