CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:29 PM

Default How do you network?

sponsored links

Hi all,
i am very new to the whole consept of networking two computers in one household, so i was wondering if anybody would actually be able tell me what i would have to do to be able to use one printer and one broadband connection between two computers running on windows xp.

Is it possible to have a wireless connection rather than running a lead between the two?

Can i still have Norton anti virus running when in network?

Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:55 PM

Sure locally install the printer on one of the workstations, and share it. You can use the wireless router to network the computers. From the workstation without the printer just search for the workstation with the Printer installed, by IP or the netbios name of the computer. In so doing you should be able to see the shared printer. right-click on it and connect. Make sure you change the SIDD when configuring the router from the default setting, i.e. "linksys" as well as the uername/password. You can use WEP, which really isn't all that secure and then generate a key for the other workstation when attempting to connect to the wireless connection. Also, you can tighten down the settings in your router by assigning static IP's. There are a variety of other settings that you can change if you desire to make your network even more secure.

And yes your virus software shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Nastynann; Nov 30, 2005 at 10:34 PM.