CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 22, 2005, 05:42 PM

Default Router Problem - Accessing Internet and now limited connectivity

sponsored links

I've just purchased a Netgear DG834G (the one where you get a free USB wireless adaptor).

Anyway, here's the problem:

I connected a LAN cable to the Router from the PC and also a wireless connection from the PC to the Router (via an installed wireless card in pc and not the one you get with the router) and i connect to my ISP (which is Karoo Broadband) and i check the stats and it says it is connected with the ISP.

Now what do i do? I check mail, it's asking for a dial-up connection, what do i do here? When i try to load a website, it doesn't load. What am i doing wrong?

Another thing i've just noticed, is that now i switched to my original modem to try to find out what was wrong (by going on here), the LAN connection and WAN connection now says "Limited or no connectivity", what have i done wrong here?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Ok, you say you connected a Network cable and wireless from the pc... Is this the same pc? If so you don't need to have both active. You would want to go into device manager and disable either the network card, or the wireless network card.

After that is done, connect everything, start internet explorer, go to tools, internet options, connection tab, click the setup button (or add if setup is grayed out) and choose connect thru lan. Go thru the next few steps taking the defaults (although you dont need to setup an internet mail account when it asks). Close IE then restart it and see if that will get you online.

If that doesn't get you on go into the routers configuration, this is usually done thru IE, the manual for your router will tell you how to get in. Check to make sure it shows an active connection to your broadband and see if it is assigning an IP address to your computer. You will want to do this using a regular connection first, not wireless because often routers ship with the wirelss disabled and you have to go in and manually turn it on...