CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:27 PM

Question networking solution?

sponsored links

I currently am using some specialized scheduling & billing software in an office environment. Three PCs (2 desktops & 1 laptop) are involved & they are all networked together. They access the needed data from one of the main desktop PCs (Server). The other desktop and laptop are basically workstations. The workstations access this needed client data through a 4 port NETGEAR router and are set to retrieve it through the Server PC's IP address (192.168.0.2). Is there anyway I can access this data location from the laptop from home over the internet? I am thinking maybe some sort of VPN solution might work, but I'm not familiar with how to do it or maybe there is a simpler way. Again, a 4 port NETGEAR router is installed at the office. Also, a dynamic IP address at my office location is involved as well.
Old Feb 08, 2006, 09:57 AM
Veteran

You could use some software like PC anywhere which would allow you to log onto the server from any location VIA the internet. There is also a built in function like that in Windows XP that allows for remote administration.
Old Feb 08, 2006, 01:05 PM

Exclamation remote solution

Well, I'm sort of using another desktop remote application call logmein (www.logmein.com), but I want to be able to access the data location from the laptop over the internet without interfering or disturbing the person using the server PC. So remote desktop applications are not what I'm really looking for.
Old Feb 09, 2006, 07:44 AM
Veteran

PC anywhere has this capability. You can set it to run in the background and there are options to decide if the user on the actual computer your accessing has the ability to keep using the computer while you are accessing it.

Other options include running FTP software in the background. This would allow you to log in simply for file browsing. There use to be some free FTP software on the net called WARFTP that was real good, but this was YEARS ago that I used it, not sure if it's still good or if they have updated it in the past few years...