CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 05, 2006, 08:45 AM

Default Going to Verizon DSL

sponsored links

We are going with Version DSL 786/128 kbs for $14.95. They offer a modem/router combo but not sure if it's worth buying. Now i have some questions and version doesn't answer any on their site.

1) Is there a seperate cable for DSL or is it over the regular phone line in your home?
2) Does it have to be hooked to the tower computer in the basement or the laptop?
3) We already have a Hawk 802.11g PCMCIA card for the laptop which works fine with out friends belkin router so will it work fine with this?
4) The tower is running Windows 98SE so will that be a problem if the DSL & router is hooked to that?
5) Will the tower in the basement be a problem?
6) Just how fast is DLS really since the service is 786/128 kbs rates?
7) My tower doenn't have a ethernet card installed so will i need one?

Oh yea and Verizon doesn't know if they have an access number when we are
down in Florida. Just wondering if they did how would that work? Would we
need to bring a DSL modem down with us for the laptop? Sprint is the local
phone service in FL. We also have a house in PA so i'm guessing that would work the same.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:38 PM

When U sign up to an ISP, you get a cable modem, rj45 cable going to either your box or your router and a noob answering your network questions.
The use of terms like basement, attic or bedroom bore me.
The location of network components does not matter. you can have your laptop in the shed, you desktop on your front garden gate and your router if you have one on the oven, warranty covers it.