CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 17, 2006, 05:35 AM

Question n00b with many questions

sponsored links

So, I just recently ended up with a dreamcast at my disposal thanks to my roomate. My mind drifted to the wonderful game Rez, which I own but don't have handy, and would really like to play again. So, thanks to bittorrent I was reunited with that amazing pile of 1's and 0's. But now I am having some trouble getting it to work.

So, I have dummied the Rez game BIN/CUE's now and got an ISO out. I tried burning this with alcohol and using utopia, no luck. Reindeer just keeps spinning. Right now we are going to try using Disk Juggler with some specific settings, hopefully this will help. We are using the slowest setting, because that seems to be the conventional wisdom around here. If this fails then the only other thing I can think to try would be to get some nice kodak CD's and see if its a quality issue.

If this continues to be hard, would there be any bennifit to making the game self-booting? Or is it such that if Utopia fails the self boot will also?

Last edited by Omagus23; May 17, 2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: n00b
Old May 19, 2006, 01:06 AM

So you have an iso huh no mp3z with it just a pure image? Are you sure you can burn iso with disc juggler? because I thought it was only for .cdi files. If those 2 programs failed try Nero. They say nero 5 is the best for dreamcast but honestly the more I use it for non dreamcast stuff and attempted dc the more I hate it. Maybe nero6? Also try imgburn it's a free program that TimC reccomends plus I've burnt some stuff with it. post back and gud luk.
Old May 19, 2006, 07:36 AM

Well, actually something that came to our attention is that the copy of rez we have is probably the PAL version, so now were learning how to do a PAL/NTSC conversion. Someone said something about Utopia being able to do the conversion if you got the right one or something, but I cant get a good explanation. It looks like Rez is the absolute worst game for a begenner at this to try, it has tons of issues. The only nice thing about it is no audo files to worry about.

I have seen many posts on this forum from people who say they got rez working, self booting even, but we are having no luck with it at all. The last cd we tryed, we took the bin/cues and ran a program thats supposed to convert a PAL game to NTSC, then ran the program which dummies the files, and then burned the resulting image file with diskjuggler. If anyone here can just list out a super simple set of directions for how they got Rez specificly from the raw bin/cue all the way to selfbooting, please let me know.

We got crazy taxi 2 working, we didnt even know the version we had was self booting and thought it was messed up when the utopia disk rejected it, then someone turned it on with it in and it worked, so at least we know things should work. We got some better CD's also.

But I want to play Rez dammit! So the hunt for good info continues. Man, the DC scene is old but theres a ton of stuff in it! I'm definetly learning a ton about how to burn, I just wish I could get this one game to work.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:58 AM

Magus I dont think it matters pal or ntsc. What matters is self booting or non-self booting. Sure utopia is the universal boot disc. If I were you I would not worry about pal / ntsc but getting rez to boot. I wish I could give you a better reply but have never worked with utopia. If I were you I would look for a self booting version just because they're so much easier to work with post back tell me if any luck.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:49 PM

alcahol 120% works perfectly for burning .cdi's. Just click and drag the cdi into the program and go to "image burning wizard."

It works perfectly and you can use it for virtual drives as well. I use it all the time.