CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 30, 2006, 03:45 PM

Question stock xbox gets code 16

sponsored links

A friend of mine has asked me to look at his xbox for him....
Here's the problem, He has never modded his xbox therefore everything is stock and untouched
one day he turned it on and it comes up with code 16.
It will not read any disks.
I read that I could burn a hdmaker disk with stock xbox files for ms on it and hotswap the drive out using a certain technique that if done right will unlock the drive.then swap it out to pc and once the drive is rewrote and the pc is rebooted the drive will relock...andway that's what his xbox is doing. I have a softmodded xbox with a 300gig maxtor in it. I began to research and did all of the softmod myself from scratch so I know abit about it myself.
Any help would be appreciated. also links would help
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:28 AM
Veteran

if you have stock/retail c:/ drive files, you may be able to save it through a hotswap.... however, the timing [b][u]has to be dead balls accurate to do so...[/b][/u] the easiest way to recover from the error 16 (missing or corrupted dashboard) is with a modchip... if you do not know what you are doing, you can surely turn his xbox into a novalty. tell him to send it to someone who knows what they are doing. I can fix it easily for him.
Old Aug 04, 2006, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I know what I'm doing and what I have to do to get the xbox back to normal
but my main question I guess would be at what point exactly do I unplug the xbox hd so that it is unlocked to start the hot swap. That I'm not sure of. And also when I take my stock C: drive files from my xbox they are in a folder called "MS" because I did a backup of my C: using Evox as my dashboard when I did my own mod.
When I make my hdmaker image do I add the folder called "MS" into the C: drive folder for the iso or just the contents of the "MS" folder.
again thanks in advance for all the help
Old Aug 05, 2006, 05:00 PM
Veteran

umm, if you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't need to ask the 3 questions you've asked.... arogance will just lead to failure. but since you already know what your doing, let us know how your friend appreciates his new shiny black 4.5lb paper weight.

on second thought... I won't be so mean.... as soon as the xbox errors out, it's unlocked the hard dive. you can then hotswap, but don't unplug the power cable, because that will relock it. as far as replacing the c drive, you should really use the retail c from slayers 2.6.

Last edited by TreFacTor; Aug 05, 2006 at 05:11 PM.