CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:51 PM

Default xbox hard-drive crash

sponsored links

Got 3 new games for the kiddies for christmas, and the hard-drive in the x-box crashed this morning.

I'm a computer guy, and had a 20 gig drive sitting here, so I stuck that in. I also know there are some locking, unlocking, and bios stuff going on there, so I ordered a mod-chip (Hyper-x seemed to be the best bang for the buck)

so what else am I going to need to do to get this going once the mod-chip gets here ?

one of my kids actually cried when I told him that his progress on Eragon was gone ... hope my mod chip don't take long to get here..
thanks

Last edited by ecourt; Dec 26, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:15 AM

you have to open up your xbox then get a tut on the modchip instalation. for the hard drive you need to get slayers auto installer(you can get that at xbins theres a tut for that at xbox-scene.com) then you need to put the hard drive in. cold boot with slayers in the disk drive(this is after you flash the bios of your modchip) then reinstall ms dash.

so

.open xbox

.get instuctions for modchip installation

. put that in then flash bios

.put new HDD in

. get slayers from xbins(tut at xbox-scene.com)

.burn to disk then cold boot your xbox with it

.reinstall ms dash

.your set

i know this sounds complicated ......and it is so i would sugest once you get your modchip save your self a lot of pain and agravation and send it to some one like me. ive been working with xbox's for 3 years. i have a 1.2 w/ xecutor 3 ce and unleash x.

hope this helps!

by the way how did your HDD get screwed in the first place?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

the hard-drive just died -- it's a xbox 1.0, so figure it's going on 5 years old.
it's a real hardware failure -- the hard-drive clunks when powered up like banging your head against the wall.

the mod-chip I ordered said it comes with the most recent cromwell bios already on it. Its also a solderless install, so it should be a piece of cake.

I've already taken the x-box apart (tried plugging the drive into a PC, it won't come up for anything, it just clunks, if I can get it up, I'd sure like to get my save-games off it) identified how the chip installs, put the new drive in (didn't put the screws back in yet) it's sitting on my bench, waiting for the chip.

It don't sound all that bad, I think I can handle it, (I been building pc's since 1990) just needed the info on where to get the bins and stuff. thanks! -- but If I run into trouble, I'll sure send you a PM.
thanks for the help