CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 28, 2007, 06:49 PM

Default Need Help Converting File Extension

sponsored links

I want to edit some VOB's in Premiere. Premiere won't import VOB's but the Adobe site stated that if the " .vob " extension was converted to " .mpg " I could import the file. Well, I can't seem to change the extension. I can rename the file and I can rename the file and add a " .mpg " to the new name but I can't turn it into an MPEG. How can I do this? BTW, I do not want to convert the file with some prog nor do I want to use another prog which will edit VOB's...I want to use Premiere. Any advice people?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:51 PM
Veteran

What Premiere is saying is that the VOB files have to be CONVERTED to mpg, if you do a search you will find a prog that will do this, but as you say you dont want to use another prog other than Premiere, your not going to do it.

Premiere cant use VOB files so they will need to be converted to a file format that it can handle, and that is to mpg files.

colin.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

I know you say you don't want to use another program to do the conversion, but sometimes you have to.

No one program, even one as full-featured as Premier, can do it all.

Try SUPER, which is freeware and comes in handy.

Good to see you're still hard at it (pun intended) editing your "home movies".
Old Mar 01, 2007, 08:59 PM

Chandler, I'm pretty sure that they mean change the extension...not convert the file...and Insomniac, I actually found a really good prog for editing VOB's...MPEG Video Wizard...but I really wanted to use Premiere. As a matter of fact, I have lots of video to edit...too much for me to even handle...I almost wish someone would find my hidden camera just so that I won't have any more videos to edit...but perhaps I've said too much already! Anyhoo, take a look at what Adobe posted on their site...I really feel that they mean to convert the extension...that's what I am getting from #4...although #5 is interesting...but who the he11 knows?!?

Solution 1: Change the .vob file extension to .mpg, and then import into Premiere.

Note: Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro do not import encrypted DVD MPEG files . The technique described below only works when used with VOB files that have not been encrypted.

1. Open My Computer, right-click the DVD drive, and choose Explore.

2. Navigate to the Video_TS folder.

3. Copy the VOB files to your hard drive.

4. Change the VOB file extensions (.vob) to the MPEG file extension (.mpg).

5. Import the MPEG files into Premiere Elements 1.0 or Premiere Pro 1.x.

6. Render the footage on the time line.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 01:14 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

It certainly sounds as if they mean to simply rename the extension, as you stated.

In my experience, that doesn't always work though, and depends on the type of compression and/or codec used.

It doesn't sound very professional for a premium product like Premier, which should be able to handle something as basic as this, especially considering the price.

Anyway, it may very well work with other files, but I would just convert this particular one for now and move on.