CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 07, 2007, 02:49 PM

Default DVD/CD RW not reading discs or burning to blank discs

sponsored links

Hi,

My PC is about 5 years old and is on Windows XP with an AMD Athlon processor. I have recently noticed that my LG DVD/CD RW drive does not read or burn cds. When one is inserted into the drive it says "please insert disc" when opening the CD's contents.

I have noticed that some people have had the same problem and I have tried doing the following to resolve this problem:

- Uniinstalled all my burning software which included Nero 7 and other various free software I downloaded to ensure it was not caused by Nero. I also followed Nero's removal instructions from there website and used the tools provided - this did not help.

- The device manager shows the drive as working fine, I have removed it and it installed itself upon a restart. This did not fix the problem and neither did rolling back to an older driver as there no older drivers.

- I have modified the drives registry so the "data type" reads 2 which allows it to read and write CD's. This has changed in the registry but the drive still does not have a recording tab when checking its properties and it still does not recognise blank discs or burn to them.

I was going to buy a new drive but some people have already done so and found the sme problm exists. I also wanted to install the latest drivers for this drive but I cannot find the exact model number - where can I find this info?

I would really apreciate any help with my problem as I my pc has started "playing up" recently and i would like to back up my important files incase of a major problem. But due to my CD/DVD burner not working this cannot be done.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 08:33 PM
Veteran

If you can try the drive in another computer to see if it works there or no.

Have you tried removing the upper/lower filters from the regestry as explaind in other posts etc.

One way to get the data backed up nowadays is to use a USB memory stick to copy it all to.

Last resort is to do a format and reinstall of XP.

colin.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 03:29 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I have not had the chance to try the drive on another computer yet but will definately post my results when I do so.

Can you please remind me how to remove the upper/lower filters on the registry as I can try this too?

Also regarding USB sticks, yes I can backup my important files via these but one of the biggest problems is I have approximately 30GB of music!

I will keep you updated with my results.
Thanks once again!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
Veteran

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next method.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Method 2: Replace Existing Driver
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

-or-

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

colin.