CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 28, 2003, 03:05 PM

Default Burning a VCD using Roxio VCD Creator

sponsored links

I have read and read and cannot find any information pertaining to my questions/issues. Hopefully, some people here can help.

Before you suggest it, I have already posted this topic on the forums at VCDhelp.com

I downloaded a short film (no copyrights) off the internet in MPEG format and burned it to VCD successfully. The A/V quality is as good as, if not better than, my VCR recordings. I was very happy.

Next, I began camcordering my sons basketball games. I recorded them to MPEG format using ATI Multimedia Center that came w/my ATI AIW card and choosing the default VCD recording option. Then I was able to record the game to VCD. However, the quality was NO WHERE near comparable to the film I downloaded from the internet. It was pixelated and motion was choppy.

I went in and played w/the settings under the default VCD capture option increasing resolution, bitrates, etc. Yet, nothing I did worked. In fact, none of my movies met the criteria for VCD format (the Roxio VCD Creator import interface would flag them as incompatible). Therefore I couldn't even burn them to VCD.

Please, can anyone tell me:

1) Why was the first video so good & and all others suck? From what I can tell, the film I downloaded has the following criteria:

Video Format: Film
Frame size: 352x240
Frame Rate: 23.98
Movie size: 43750 frames
Play time: 30:31:08

That's all the info I could find out.

2) What the optimal settings are for MPEG recording for use with VCD. More specifically, should I use Constant or Variable Video Bitrate?

I know the:
Resolution must be 352x240
Audio Bitrate must be 224 kbit/s
Video Bitrate must be 1150 kbit/s

3) Motion Estimation Quality. What is this and what should it be set to? (O-99) * Default VCD preset is set to 99.

4) P frames. What is this and what should it be set to? (0-4) *Default VCD preset is set to 4.

5) B frames. What is this and what should it be set to? (0-2) Default VCD preset is set to 2.

6) System Clock Reference. I noticed when I made a custom preset in the ATIMMC, all parameters being equal to the default preset, the System Clock Reference was out of tolerance for recording VCD compatible videos. This was even the case when I duplicated the default preset parameter for parameter. NOTE: There is no setting for the System Clock Reference in the ATIMMC. I found this parameter when I tried to convert the file for recording in Roxio VCD Creator.

Sorry this is sooo looong, but it's my hope that by giving ALL available information, someone here can help me figure this out. I would like to record ALL of my home movies to VCD, but not if the quality is going to be so much worse than the 8mm tape it's already recorded on.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 01, 2003, 12:39 AM

EZ CD Creator is limited in burning VCDs. I recommend you using Nero or VCDEasy. For your video, save it as AVI then encode to MPEG with 29.9 frame rates. For capturing with your ATI, use the stuff on this site >> ***********.dvdrhelp.com/ATI_AIW_Guide.htm
I set the bit rate at 1.65kps to capture TV shows and I got good quality.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 05:43 PM

Thx konni,

I will look into that. However, can nobody offer an advice to the more specific questions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Why was the first video so good & and all others suck? From what I can tell, the film I downloaded has the following criteria:

Video Format: Film
Frame size: 352x240
Frame Rate: 23.98
Movie size: 43750 frames
Play time: 30:31:08

2) What the optimal settings are for MPEG recording for use with VCD. More specifically, should I use Constant or Variable Video Bitrate?

3) Motion Estimation Quality. What is this and what should it be set to? (O-99) * Default VCD preset is set to 99.

4) P frames. What is this and what should it be set to? (0-4) *Default VCD preset is set to 4.

5) B frames. What is this and what should it be set to? (0-2) Default VCD preset is set to 2.

6) System Clock Reference. I noticed when I made a custom preset in the ATIMMC, all parameters being equal to the default preset, the System Clock Reference was out of tolerance for recording VCD compatible videos. This was even the case when I duplicated the default preset parameter for parameter. NOTE: There is no setting for the System Clock Reference in the ATIMMC. I found this parameter when I tried to convert the file for recording in Roxio VCD Creator.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:26 AM

Default other suggest

I use ***********.yzf888.com/vcd-creator.html,you can try.