CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:14 PM

Lightbulb need 2 identify a mod chip

sponsored links

hi, i acquired a ps2 from my brother who doesnt use it anymore, its the older chunky one, i think it has a messiah but not sure, he was able to boot backups from the browser screen but not anymore.
He was having trouble with backups but could still get them to work, he just had to power down the console and retry, and after doing this a few times the backup would load and be fine from then, but now it just wont load at all, no matter how many times i switch it off with the hard button on the back.
The console was old and filthy, so i stripped it down and cleaned it thoroughly, but ima pc guy and dont know much about ps2s so dont really know what to do now.
When i got it, before cleaning, it took ages to recognise the disk, whether it was a backup or not, after cleaning it recognises them straight away, but it still always rejects the backups telling me to insert a ps2 format disk.
It still accepts original disks no problem, and now recognises them almost instantly, but do the chips blow out after prolonged use?
Although i dont know if a blown chip is the problem, since he could get it working after a few cold boots, and now it wont at all, it seems to have slowly gotten worse, as opposed to working one day and not the next which i would expect from a blown chip.
Any ideas on what chip might be in it and if theres a solution, or is it just the end of its days?