CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:53 AM

Default Unrecognized Toshiba External HD

Hello,

Could someone please help me?

I have an 80GB Toshiba external hard drive (though on the box it's written as Toshiba Mobile Hard Drive, hope it's the same since I did ask for external HD)

I had it now for 4 months and was working just fine, but now it stoped working I usually transfer files from my laptop to my computer, so when I need it to do so today, I unplugged the mouse cable (had a usb-hub before but the HD wont recognize it, yet another problem) and plugged the HD usb cable, a red light was one and that was it, I couldn't see the green light on, nor the folder popping-up, the HD drive wasn't recognized in my computer either, I restarted my laptop twice and shut it down once still not working, so I tried connecting it into my computer this time and it also stoped working there.

Bottomline the HD stoped working on both my laptop and computer.

I googled around and it seems that by uninstalling the device driver will do the trick, the thing is I dunno which one I should remove, I kept looking for one that has the name Toshiba in it but with no luck, I did this while having the HD unplugged because when I plugged so that I can atleast see it's name in device manger, system manger won't open at all, I viewied the hidden devices, changed the usb ports, still nothing worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: LapTop = Windows XP SP 2 - Computer = Windows XP SP 1

Last edited by Hikari; Jun 14, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Does your external HDD have its own power supply, if so check to see if it is working correctly.

If it runs of the USB port only, i would try the drive with another compter to see if it works OK there or not, if not it could be that the drive has gone faulty.

If OK in another comp, uninstall any software you installed for the drive (if any when you first installed the drive), then reinstall them (the latest if they are available), then check to see if it now works OK or not.

But as it's not working in both comps, i would say the external unit is faulty, and needs checking.

colin.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:29 PM

Hi, chandler68!

Thank you for taking the time to help out!

I don't have power supply, it only works with the USB ports.

I will try to check it one more time on my brother's computer, I just need to wait for his return, but I was hoping to find a solution in the mean time.

I haven't installed any software for it, that's why it's hard for me to check and see what's wrong with it.

By faulty, do you perhaps mean it's corrupted and the files are lost for ever? is there at least away to check and see what the files were? I stored avi, mkv, flv, zip, rar, and some files are still in their original Japanese name. I think 40GB worth of files are still there if not 80GB...

Edit: I tried plugging it to my brother's computer it recognized it at first but then it didn't kept doing that for a while till it didn't recognize it at all, also tried another USB port still it won't work on his computer too.

Last edited by Hikari; Jun 15, 2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:56 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari
I don't have power supply, it only works with the USB ports.

FYI, 2.5" drives don't require any extra power, they get all they need from the USB port.

Only 3.5" drives need supplementary power as the USB port can't supply enough.

This power can either be built-in to the external drive, or in the form of an extra power pack.

Anyway, it sounds pretty obvious by now.

If you've tried it in 3 different, and otherwise OK PC's, then it's almost certain to be the drive, or it's electronics.

If it's easy to take apart, you can buy external enclosures you can put the drive in.

Or if the drive has the same connector as your motherboard, try it as in internal drive. (There's no difference between external and internal drives apart from the enclosure and power supply).

Only do this if you're comfortable doing so, and have basic competence.

The drive is only 4 months old?

If that's the case, the first thing I would do is send it back for warranty if applicable?

One quick thing to try is to see if you can access the drive in Disk Management.

Start, run and type in compmgmt.msc /s then OK.

Under Storage, highlight Disk Management, then on the right-hand side see if the drive is visible and accessible.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:25 PM

Thanks for trying to help out guys!

I took it back to the shop and they said it can't be fixed and they will replace it, the thing is I still need my files so after going to 2 other shops and the later asks me for about 4000$ to recover my files (the data were around 70GB)

Anyways, I was like ok as long as there's a hope for it I will keep it and someday will pay that amount, I really didn't care about replacing my external.

After I returned home for some strange reason I thought maybe there's a software for recovering data from externals? (I really didn't think that was possible with externals, I always manged to get my deleted files from CDs, DVDs and HD only before)

I found at least 2 softwares...

Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS
File Scavenger

I hope this post will be helpful for the future members having the same problem.

TO THE MODs:
Please feel free to lock this thread.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:24 AM
Banned

Default I would like to say hi

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to just say hi

[url=***********.interspiresubmit.com/services/]Link building service