CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:40 AM

Default Need some advice on spam situation

Hi there, having a lot of problems with spammers/bots on my forum - vbulletin 3.6.4. They're managing to bypass both the CAPTCHA and email verification checks and just post bunch of links that IMO is usless? What's the point anyway? Take a look on them, maybe it can give some clues on what software spammers are using and create some additional protection?

[url=********pixodoo.***.html]***
[url=********gigaify.***.html]***
[url=********carbailero.***.html]***

Anyways, i've been adding the IPs and emails (wildcards for Russian emails, etc.) to the ban-list in the vBulletin control panel, but there are becoming so many the banlist on the control panel is starting to become very slow for displaying all the IPs/emails when I visit that section. Because I've banned most of the Russian, Ukraine and Chinese top-level domain names, the spammers are using Gmail accounts which is much harder to police as, obviously, there are lots of legitimate Gmail users. Therefore is there some way of importing the StopForumSpam list into vBulletin, please? Thanks!

Last edited by webmaster; Dec 04, 2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:32 AM

OK
I got everything set but I do not know what a WPA2 needs to be. Is this just a password I create with numbers and letters?
Thanks for the assistance.
Sparx
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:08 AM

Both will do the job. The Pro version gives a little more, in as much as you can control how many pop-ups you see on screen and plus you can have it set to monitor email contents attachments. If you need the company line on the difference between the two products, go take a look at the web site.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:53 AM

You need to update the latest version of VBulletin, do you have find anything what your Hosting provider can do for you, in today's world Hosting providers do lot of things to help their customers in every issues i.e they want to show that they are webhostingsmarts.

Most people are being hit with a lot of spam these days. Some things you can do to reduce this are:

1. Moderate new registrations
Admin CP -> Setting -> Options -> User Registration Options -> Moderate New Members -> Yes

2. Activate email verification
Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options -> Verify Email address in Registration

3. Upgrade to at least vBulletin version 3.7 or higher. These versions have several Human Verification Options.
Admin CP -> Settings -> Human Verification Manager ->

Image Verification:
This is the same Images Verification Captcha as in older versions of vB, except that this now requires both GD and Freetype 2 to be installed in PHP.

Question and Answer Verification
This allows you to set up a Question and Answer verification during registration. If done correctly it will be almost impossible for bots to enter the correct answer.

reCAPTCHA™ Verification
This uses the reCaptcha service. You will need to register with them and get both a Public and Private key.

*** Note: As per this announcement, we recommend using the Q&A method with multiple questions. ***
After you have chosen the method you want to use and have set this up, then make sure the correct Human Verification options are set here:
Admin CP -> Settings -> Human Verification Options

And if you have chosen the Image Verification option then you need to choose either GD or ImageMagick here: Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Image Settings
You can go back to the Human Verification Manager to make sure the image is showing correctly.

Note: Both are equivalent. These are also required if you use thumbnails for attachments or wish to automatically resize pictures that are too large.

4. Ban 'free' email domains many spammers use.
Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> User Banning Options -> Banned Email Addresses

See this thread for a list of commonly banned email addresses:
***********.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148061

5. Set these options for the Unregistered, Users Awaiting and COPPA usergroups:
Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit ->
Can Use Email to Friend -> No
Can Email Members -> No

Require Human Verification on Configured Actions -> Yes

6. Add a new required question to registration.
Although there is a Q&A option in the Human Verification Manager, at this time these is no way to use this in conjunction with Image Verification or reCaptcha. However there is a workaround for this. You can create a required profile field to add Q&A to the registration process. To do so, follow these instructions: Add an extra question to the registration to prevent bot registrations.

7. Restrict Email to Friend to Registered Users.
Some people have reported that spammers are using the 'Send Email to Friend' function to spam others from your forums. To reduce this make sure that your Unregistered, COPPA and User's Awaiting groups have the 'Can Use Email to Friend' option set to 'No'.

8. Stop bots spamming through the Contact Us link.
Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Human Verification Options -> Check 'Contact Us' and 'Register'

9. Enabling Spam Management.
vBulletin supports managing spam through the Akismet and Typepad Anti-spam services. Both services require an API key to use. Here is how to obtain those keys.