CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 15, 2002, 08:51 AM

Default just got a dvd burner, need to make sure im doin this right

sponsored links

Hey all, I just got a pioneer a03 drive a few days ago. I've made backups of metal gear solid 2 and grandia II, but haven't been able to boot anything yet. I have the following

version 1 (us) ps2
neo 2.2 chip
gameshark 2 + dongle (1.99d written on it)

I've tried booting with a dvd demo fromone of the games mags, but haven't had any success with grandia II yet. The TOC is smaller than MGS2 so I haven't been able to test it out. Also, I am going to buy either Resident Evil Code Veronica X (for the DMC demo), or Devil May Cry to use as a boot disc. Any thoughts on that? I am not sure if there is a difference between using the DMC demo or the original (same size TOC?). If I used the DMC demo, could I boot a dvdr copy of the original?

Just one final question, most posts I see with the gameshark, neo 2.2 boot method mention using ps2 versions 3 and above, I have a version 1 console, is there anything different from the traditional boot methods that I must do? I think the grandia II dvdr I made was on bad media (unbranded) but the MGS2 copy is on pioneer media (came with the drive), so hopefully once I get a boot disc big enough I will finally be able to enjoy MGS2.

Also, if anyone here lives in Canada and wants to trade dvdr images or games contact me. I'm also looking for a place to buy apple or verbatim dvdrs cheap in Canada, most of the online places are in the US and I have to pay 15% tax on items shipped across the border, not to mention a crappy exchange rate! Thanks a lot for the help......
Old Mar 15, 2002, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Whats your operating system?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 09:18 AM

My cpu operating system? I run windows 2000 with an ntfs drive on the cpu with the burner, and I have winxp at home that could be put on the dvdr cpu, but how does my OS matter as long as I have an ntfs drive?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 09:33 AM

Ok, heres an update. I was reading this board and I tried the swap method using a demo disk from Playstation Underground magazine (Issue 49). The disk size reads as 4 GB in my dvd drive, and I tried using the armored core boot method where you get the too many codes screen.

The good news is this is the closest I've gotten to booting grandia II because after inserting my dvdr the gameshark screen actually dissappears and turns black and looks like the game is starting to load, and then I come right back to the gameshark main menu screen. If I thne go back to start game with or without codes the same thing happens. The game looks like its loading for about 10 seconds the screen is black and then I get back to the gameshark main menu. Any thoughts or ideas?

Is there any reason why this demo disk I am using would not work to boot games with a smaller TOC, ie are some demo disks unsuitable, or will any disc with a large TOC do?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 10:10 AM
Veteran

is the demo disk in PS2 game format - OPS2 mag is fine but i bought another one and the DVD format is movie - not PS2 - so useless.....
Old Mar 15, 2002, 10:14 AM

How can I tell if it is in game format? Its got demos of star wars racer, ico, kinetica, etc on it, its not a movie cd demo.....does that make a difference?