CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:14 PM

Default Major Hard Drive Problems

sponsored links

I turned on my pc today, and now all of a sudden it doesnt recognize my hard drive, whenever i start it, and try to get to it, it says that it is inaccessable, and when i go into dos it shows no files in the directory of my hard drive, i have a lot of important things i cant loose, if anyone knows whats wrong, or has experienced this problem id appreciate the help

thanks
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:06 AM

hi sf
if youve got another hard drive set it up as master
then swap the jumpers on the drive youre having probs with to slave
then install the opperating system on the master drive
and when you restart pc you canjust go into windows and open up the files on the slave drive just like using a cd
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:43 AM
Veteran

Don't see how that will help if DOS can't see files on the drive. Why would Windows be able to see files just because you switch it to the slave drive?

When you do a dir on the C: drive from DOS does anything show up (directories, etc.)? Try running fdisk from DOS and select option 5 for partition information. you can also try running scandisk from DOS:
scandisk c:

Also download a DOS antivirus program from here and run a scan: ***********.simtel.net/pub/msdos/virus/
Old Apr 29, 2002, 04:20 AM
Veteran

Also, presuming your running 95/98, create a boot disc (from another PC !) and try booting the PC with the boot disc and see if you can see the drive once booted. If you can, from the boot disc type sys c: if the boot files are damaged, this will replace them.
Closed Thread