CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Default Does this work ?

sponsored links

I found the posting below on the BST forum and thought it sounded ok,but does anyone know if it will work ?
Nobody as replied to the thread commenting about it so I'm a bit concerned about just trying it without some other advice first.

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80646

Interesting security feature for XP users .
I know a lot of people are concerned with effectively removing data from your hard drives....

If you have XP as your o/s then you can do the following.

Click on Start

Click on Run

Type....

cipher /x:

where x is the letter of your hard drive i.e.

cipher /c:

(note that there is a space after the word cipher)

What this does is fill up the supposedly deleted files with 0's and 1's so that the data is irretrivable.

Hope this helps.....
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:17 PM
Veteran

Cipher command
Displays or alters the encryption of folders and files on NTFS volumes.

cipher [/e| /d] [/s:dir] [/a][/i] [/f] [/q] [/h] [pathname [...]]

Parameters

none..Used without parameters, displays the encryption state of the current folder and any files it contains.

/e...Encrypts the specified folders. Folders will be marked so that files added to the folder later will be encrypted.

/d...Decrypts the specified folders. Folders will be marked so that files added to the folder later will not be encrypted.

/s: dir..Performs the selected operation on folders in the specified folder and all subfolders.

/a..Performs the selected operation on files with the specified names. If there is no matching file, this parameter is ignored.

/i...Continues performing the specified operation even after errors have occurred. By default, cipher stops when an error is encountered.

/f..Forces the encryption or decryption of all specified objects. By default, files that have already been encrypted or decrypted are skipped.

/q...Reports only the most essential information.

/h...Displays files with hidden or system attributes. By default, these files are not encrypted or decrypted.

pathname

Specifies a pattern, file, or folder.

Regards
Closed Thread