CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 30, 2002, 09:03 AM
Veteran

Default Trying explain virus and firewall security

sponsored links

I tried to explain this to a customer yesterday, after his computer were infected yesterday morning...
Its a W32.klez variation type, disabled his Norton AV as well as the Firewall totally.

"But WHY ??? I am using Norton (as you recommened ) with the latest whatever update and a wall with lots of fire whatever thing, how can I be affected ? "

"umm.. did you download anything ? emails ? attachments ? "

"Yes"

"Do you know the person who send you these emails ?"

"Not sure, but I think I known them, but the name didnt ring a bell, but I thought, with all the AV and fire-thingy, I am bullet proof.."

I think the terms I used to explain finally got through, imagine your AV are the locks on your front door, and the firewall is the security guard standing by the front door, sure enough, you are now safe, but when you are downloading attachments/emails from strangers, you are basically telling the AV to let this person/thing through without a body search, and telling the Firewall to turn a blind eye to who just entered your front door.

If this 'friend' is a nice person, sure they wont trash your place, but do you often invite strangers you do not know into your own house ? and then leave them in your house without looking over them ?

I am only posting this because I think too many people do not relate computer security to their own house security, think deep enough, you will begin to see, they are really the same thing
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:50 AM
Veteran

By definition, anti-virus is always one step behind, they can't provide a fix until the bugger is out and about. I've got Norton 2002 and have had a couple of e-mails in with the Klez virus attached which thankfully, it's picked up and quarantined.

The problem is, taking klez for an example, it takes two addresses from an Outlook address book and sends an e-mail from one addressee to the other. Chances are that the receiver of the mail is likely to know the other person and wouldn't think twice about opening it !

Yes, if in doubt don't open it, but even your 'friends' can get you sometimes !
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:16 AM
Veteran

Agreed, explaining the meaning of antivirus and firewall to the world at large is difficult. I had a customer who was hit by KlezE and he was astounded because he had AV protected BIOS on his machine and wondered how could he have possibly been infected!!! Not only that he did have Norton AV software - sitting on his shelf ....

The moral of the story is - if you've got the software use it and keep it updated, if you havent got it go get some, and if you dont know what you've got seek help because its likely to save you money in the long run (it took me a lot of hours to get all the nasty stuff out of this guys machine, it wasnt just Klez and it did hurt his wallet)
Closed Thread