CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 16, 2002, 10:17 PM
Banned

sponsored links

damn....i've got a Cable Connection...1.3mbps for only $35 a month...it's GREAT! I got it through Charter Communications it's in the US (where I live)...lol
Old Apr 24, 2002, 10:50 AM
Veteran

IVE NOTED ONE FINAL TIME SAVING-

I heard that a pc o/s includes program codes that hook into the system while your'e online, thinking your'e part of a LAN etc, when in fact you may not be, like most surfers. So these 'hooks' end up adding delay to your browsing while they try to integrate themselves with your non-existant company network protocols!

There are some small programs out there on the web that can eradicate these unneeded conections, but as i dont know what theyre called i wouldnt know by name to search for them

any offers?.....?

thats me all done here, cant think of any more tips as yet.
:hshake:
Old May 01, 2002, 11:43 AM
Veteran

Hey - just noticed a mistake i made that you might have-

If you setup your modem as a default/standard type without its speed mentioned, then the isp uses a basic speed with it.
But if you setup a specific speed modem, eg 56k-flex, then the isp uses that transferal speed for connection, not a lower setting!
So note that a 56k rate you may not get unless you set it that way as the default modem, within windows settings.
Old May 06, 2002, 03:14 AM

I use 56k and noticed a major reduction in connection speed for no reason. (used to connect at about 45000 but was only connecting at between 14000 and 28000). I tried adjusting just about everything and eventually rang BT. It turns out they had turned down the gain on my line while carrying out some maintenance. They have increased the gain and hey presto i'm connecting at 45000 again! If your in the UK ring 151 and ask for them to check the line. Tell them your having trouble with net connection speed and they should look at your gain settings. I'm told that i am now set at 4 from 2.
Closed Thread