CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 01, 2002, 04:57 PM

Default A message to Zack371

sponsored links

Hi there

I was just trying your message down the board about blocking sites using the host file and telling your machine that it is hosted on your own machine. It worked great with a few sites I tried, but when I tested it with this site www.cdrom-guide.com it didn't work why is that.

Hope to hear from you soon
Who Has The Answers
Old Jun 02, 2002, 12:12 AM
Veteran

Hmm, that is odd.

Windows will look to the hosts file and use any entries in there instead of resolving them via DNS. If you had been to www.cdrom-guide.com first, then made the entry in the hosts file, you may need to reboot. Are you using Windows 98, 2000 or what?? I will have a look at this and see what I come up with. I know WIn9x needs to be restarted usually before changes to the file will take effect. I would make sure you have the spelling correct in the file, then reboot and see what happens. Like I said, I will look at this in the morning and see what I can find out. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was out of town all day unexpectedly today. Anyways, I'll play around with it and get back to you.

-Zack-

[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif[/img]
Old Jun 04, 2002, 10:37 AM
Veteran

I tried it with www.cdrom-guide.com and it worked fine.

Let me know if you still have problems with it. Actually, let me know either way. I will do whatever I can to try and figure it out.

Best of Luck,

Zack