CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 17, 2002, 08:29 PM
Veteran

Default found 2 viruses

sponsored links

my buddy is running avg anti virus. it has detected 2 viruses but cannot fix them. it has put them in the vault. i was going to look for a utility to fix them, but cannot find out what thier names are. the file names it has secluded are 22logN[1].js and pop[1].js any ideas how i can find out what they are, avg says it cannot heal the files.
TIA
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:56 PM
Veteran

Just delete them. They are java script files that have been infected I dont think they are of any importance the pop[1] is part of your user profile I think.
They are safe in the virus vault If you want to leave them there until more advice can be given, Ill llook into it a bit more.

Are there any other symptoms of virus infection?

Last edited by uk_trader; Jun 17, 2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 08:07 AM

Not implying you have been visiting these sites but some dodgy MP3, Warez and **** sites are supposed to plce JS files on your computer will all those popup ads.

I've had cookies from MP3 sites I've visited that Ad-Aware picks up as Spyware.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 08:27 AM
Veteran

uk_trader, there is a problem. he can't browse the net, but he can use trillian to chat. also he can recieve files through trillian, but can't send them. i haven't had time to get over there and actually see what's going on, so i was trying to gather as much info on possible problems ahead of time. especially seeing as how i won't have access to the net.

sparkster, you're probably right. i've tried and tried to get him to run anti-virus and firewall programs, maybe he will listen now.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 11:40 AM
Veteran

Right first off what folders where the files originally in when they where detected?
As he can use trilian he can get a connection to the net so if he uses IE try using another browser like netscape or reinstalling IE.
Also if possible can you find out what programs are runnig at startup using msconfig.
I reckon its more than likely malware or spyware like sparkster says rather than a virus though so delete the files and see if that solves the problem.

Last edited by uk_trader; Jun 19, 2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 05:20 PM
Veteran

well, he's browsing again. dloaded and sent him adaware, ezula was listed in msconfig. got rid of ezula and all was fixed. thanks for the help.