CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 11, 2002, 09:55 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

I like yer thinkin handy.. I was toying with buying them the other day.
whats the difference then? are they written to a shinier disk surface? or deeper indents?
Old Jul 12, 2002, 02:23 AM

Well for me, it will read audio CD backups on CD-R on just about any brand burned at any speed so long as the disc is clean. However, I have had no luck whatsoever with X-Box CD-R backups on any media at any burn speeds unless i use a PC DVD-ROM drive hooked up to the x-box. So apparently there is a difference in how it reads them, and as greenhead pointed out it is likely the read speed that makes this difference. You use ripping audio as an example of successful higher read speeds for the cd-r discs you have tested, but what i have noticed on mine is that it actually seems to take longer to rip from a cd-r than from a factory pressed disc showing the speed struggle with the cd-r. though take that part lightly as i have not timed anything and it could just be my imagination!

There are sites, though that have shown that many CD-R brands DO work on many x-boxes for games provided the discs are burned no greater than 4X. Once speeds like 12X or 24X are tested on the same media on the same sys, the game will not boot even if burned with a great burner like Plextor. My problem might just be that my X-Box is an oldie from Nov 2001 so my laser migh be a little weaker now.

So my advice is that when you finally do get a mod, just give it a shot but try very slow burn speeds if u have no luck with high ones, and u may be able to save a few bucks using CD-Rs. Or, just go with the old PC DVD-ROM trick to play those CD-Rs perfectly no matter what speed u burn em at...

Hope that answered the actual question u were asking, even if it is only based on my own experiences and an obscure reference to a mystery website

And as always, i also like handyman's thinking. The guy rocks and is always e-mailing me with new tips on how to get my x-box running better, which is why I'm posting here to help spead the knowledge

NeoCage

Last edited by NeoCage; Jul 12, 2002 at 02:31 AM.