CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 29, 2002, 02:13 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

While that may be true, by tracing the blocked traffic you can work out your self if it's suspicious or not. If you keep blocking traffic from the same IP for example its worth checking . As for not worrying coz zonealarm's installed nothing is 100% secure especially zonealarm. Im not saying zonealarm is no good just that nothig is 100%. I once thought no one could get in my comp because I was using zonealarm until a m8 of mine and I were discussing firewalls and there security on ICQ (hes on offline m8, Im not stupid) said wait 5 mins and your browser will open at goole and sure enough it did.

Last edited by uk_trader; Jan 29, 2002 at 02:24 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:22 AM

Default Little wager possibly ?

I'd bet you have clicked on 'allow' (or 'OK') to something that eventually gave your 'mate' the opportunity.

Once you give permission, next time you will be reminded that this XXXX has been granted permission before ! (must be OK then ?)

Or do you always check what/where everything is, every time.

I don't work for Zone Alert/Alarm nor do I have any connection with them - but I do believe it is an excellent product (and would gladly accept a free improved version from them).

It's weakness is the human factor, (how many of us have read the how to's even ?), I ALWAYS say NO, unless I'm absolutely certain, it'll always ask again.

Procode.

Last edited by procode; Jan 29, 2002 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Nah m8 I always have to give it permission. I even have to give my browser permission even when I click a link as that is another exploit for zonealarm for trojans to send information thyrough your web browser mail client etc when you have it to remember your answer. The incident happened when I was new to computer security, but now I know more about firewalls etc, and know that they are breachable. i.e youve got your browser allowed internet connection so youve got an open port (port 80) so there access to your machine. Fair enough he knew I was online which zonealarm would have prevented, Zonealarm does do a good job of protecting your comp but I was just raising the point that your computer is not unbreachable with any software firewall including za.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:15 AM
Veteran

This is what I found with a quick search for zonealarm exploits. Again Im not bashing za I use it myself. Its just I used to think the same as you as do many millions of people on the net that youre un-hackable with a firewall youre not! The same also applies to other software firewalls.
********rampages.onramp.net/~mbaska/Newsletter/n000424.htm
By the way Id still recomend zonealarm or an other firewall to be installed. It makes it harder to break into your machine not impossible. Any software is exploitable,

Last edited by uk_trader; Jan 30, 2002 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 07:43 PM

Default Not many people know that !

Going back up to the thread starter;
Did you know that the latest version of Zone Alarm Pro (v 2.6), will trace the blocked signal's IP address for you, if you wish !
Procode