CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 16, 2002, 07:19 PM

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Van Nugent [/i]
[B]On many systems, if you burn at 16X or higher, you'll need to move the reader to Primary Slave and keep the burner on Secondary Master. In fact, it's recommended to do so. But yinyan is correct, some systems will burn OK with the 2 on same channel. [/B]
Is this true? I have the exact setting and I can only burn at 8x max. My CDROMs are at UDMA mode 2. May I know why I'm not getting a fast burn? The CPU usage is not that high either, only 10%. Why am I getting such a slow burn?
Old Jul 16, 2002, 09:03 PM
suspended

That's the fundamental setup and whether it works on your system depends on other factors as well. Ask yourself if you have used an UDMA cable or you're still using the old 40-conductor IDE cable? Ask yourself to check the tranfer rate & DAE rate of the CDROM to see if it's fast anough for the desired burning speed. Just because you've put the 2 drives on separate channels as said doesn't mean it will automatically let you burn at the speed you want.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:45 AM
suspended

And also as I've told many people on the forum so many times before, if you want to do a lot of OTF burning from experience the best 30 I ever spent on my system a long time ago was a PCI IDE controller card giving you another 2 IDE channels.

Having every device as Master on it's own IDE channel makes the world of difference, and the cost is peanuts. Also, you of course need to take into account the criterias that Van posted.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 05:22 AM

Quote:
And also as I've told many people on the forum so many times before, if you want to do a lot of OTF burning from experience the best 30 I ever spent on my system a long time ago was a PCI IDE controller card giving you another 2 IDE channels.
It works very well for Thanks "Lazza"
Old Jul 17, 2002, 05:33 AM
Veteran

Changed CD-rom drive, now CAN do 24x on the fly with NO buffer under runs!
As i said b4, not all readers read at the rated speeds. Had a Creative 52x and now got a cheapo Artec 52x. Only tried it as an experiment, just goes to show price is'nt everything!