CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 03, 2002, 04:11 PM

Default registry edit

sponsored links

When we vist on any web site wich change it can done in our registry file . and is it possible that any web site made such things in our PC that we will unable to open it again.
Old Jun 03, 2002, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Are you trying to ask can a website modify your registary just by you viewing it?

If so then no it can't, unless it's a new bug in IE.

Roger
Old Jun 03, 2002, 05:12 PM

Actually Roger there is a one site which was opening in my PC but now it is saying your cookies are not enable. But my cookies are enable i do not know which changes this site has made on my PC i even have reinstall my window but this site is still not working on my PC but it is working on my other friends PC.
Old Jun 04, 2002, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Can you post the site in here without breaking any rules? then maybe we can go and visit and check it out for you, but i don't think a website can make changes to your registry - if that is what your asking.
Old Jun 04, 2002, 09:16 AM
Veteran

A website can not make changes to your website unless you give it permission to.

If you gave us the url we might be able to help more.

Roger
Old Jun 04, 2002, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Hi Guys, I think you've missed the question Roger Moore, user2725 was asking can a visited web site alter your reg settings on your PC...

The answer would be yes, although not directly, the site would have to download a file or an exe programme that would reconfigure or alter a file in a predetermined location, I have seen this done quite regular, for instance have you ever had your default browser location changed?? I have.... not a reg file alteration, but non the less, a change made just by visiting a web site..

I've heard of, but not experienced, dial up numbers being changed to premium rate numbers...

You need a good firewall and a virus checker, it would also would be worth running a trojan search on your PC..

HTHY M8