CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 30, 2002, 02:26 PM

Unhappy software installing to drive D:

sponsored links

A pc was working fine with a 6GB HD in running windows.
A 2nd (40GB) HD was installed AS WELL AS the 6GB one.
Windows was loaded onto this HD as well so we now have 2 HD's each with Windows on. (40GB now = C:\ drive, 6GB = D:\ drive)
The PC still works fine, but............when new software is installed, it prefers to default to load on the 6GB D:\ drive even though the 40GB HD is the C:\ drive.
If I delete (by renaming) windows on the D: drive, the pc will not boot up to windows. Similar thing if if I delete windows on the C: drive.
It seems I am stuck with two sets of windows.
My questions are, (1) how do I get software to default to load onto drive C: and (2) how do I get rid of windows on drive D: and keep the pc bootable without deleting windows off drive D:, reformatting drive C: and starting from scratch?
Old Aug 30, 2002, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Use a program such as ghost to copy your Drive D: to drive C:, make sure that drive C is on IDE1 and is the master: remove drive D: and make sure you can boot into windows. Assuming you can boot into windows, re connect drive D: run FDISK, remove any partitions on your second HD (change to your second HD) and repartition it as an Extended partition and create any logical partitions you wish.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 05:24 AM

Thanks for your help Demo!!!!!!