CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 22, 2003, 05:48 PM

Question MSN Messenger removal?

sponsored links

I recently got a new computer & am currently running WinXP. I want to uninstall MSN Messenger so I can install Trillian, an all-in-one messenger program. I can't seem to get MSN Messenger uninstalled & the only way to keep it from totally running is to deny it internet access through my firewall program (ZoneAlarm). I tried several methods of either uninstalling it or trying to configure it to not start when Windows starts. However, everytime I open Outlook Express to read my Hotmail, it's still there. I even tried directly removing the "Messenger" folder within the Program Files folder & also unselecting it as a Windows component in the control panel, but neither effort worked. Is there any other way of TOTALLY uninstalling MSN Messneger under WinXP so it doesn't show up at all or is pretty much an embedded program/component within WinXP like Explorer? Thanks
Old May 22, 2003, 07:47 PM

Messenger hides itself from the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel. In order for it to show up there, you must first edit the file named sysoc.inf. This file can be found in a folder named INF, which is a subfolder of the Windows folder (or in some cases the winnt folder, depending on how your OS was installed). You can open that file in notepad. Look for the following line:
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,
msmsgs.inf,hide,7
and remove the word "hide" while leaving the commas on place.
So it would look like:
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,
msmsgs.inf,,7
Close and save the file, and then open the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel, so that you can remove it like any other program.

Edit: INF is a hidden folder. To see hidden folders, go into any window and select "tools -> folder options", select the "View" tab, and select "show hidden files and folders"

Last edited by Oddjob633; May 22, 2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old May 22, 2003, 09:15 PM
Veteran

yeah -that's really annoying... every time i install xp i have to go in and edit that sysoc file and remove all the hide...
what are they hiding? the critical program called MSN messenger?
Microsoft is giving the user less and less control, and the illusion of more and more control.
I mean - under program files, why the hell can't i delete MSN gaming zone?
Its not that this folder bugs me that much - it's the princple. I have a folder in my program files folder which is NOT CRITICLE and microsoft won't let me delete the damn thing!
Old May 23, 2003, 06:35 AM
Veteran

Well, I never knew the proper way to get rid of that POS, all I ever did was find the folder in HD that stored the .exe program and delete everything inside it. Didn't "uninstall" it, but it got rid of the damn thing. I thought SP1 allowed you to remove MSN from the add/remove windows componants in the control panel? Never tried it though, just deleted it............just my 2 cents.............l
Old May 24, 2003, 04:50 AM
suspended

Easiest and surefire way with XP IMO is to copy & paste this in the [I]Run[/I] box.

[B]RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove [/B]

Reboot and it's gone.
Old May 24, 2003, 04:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Lazza [/i]
[B]Easiest and surefire way with XP IMO is to copy & paste this in the [I]Run[/I] box.

[B]RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove [/B]

Reboot and it's gone. [/B]
Lazza,
That'll work with and without SP1, I assume?