CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 29, 2002, 08:38 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Not sure exactly what you are talking about?? Are you talking about AVISynth??

Because it doesn't exactly load AVI's and it isn't exactly made for VirtualDub.

All you need to do is install AVISynth, open notepad, copy the above simple script, rename part1.avi and part2.avi to your actual file names, save as whatever.AVS and then you can pretty much just treat it as a regular AVI. In your case I guess just re-encode it to SVCD with TMPGEnc.

You could also cut the file with AVISynth using trim(in,out) as well as resize and add borders.
Old Dec 30, 2002, 06:35 AM

thnx for advice , but i aint there yet
have opened notepad ,and copied the script ,and entered the file names , in " " (do i take the " symbols out btw?"
saved as movie.txt
i then renamed my avis to movie.avs
then when i try to open with avisynth still get
"unable to open file , are you forcing avi to unsupported format"
plus i cant see what i do with the actual notepad doc, what do i do with it ,as i cant see a way to enter it into avisynth, TIA
Old Dec 30, 2002, 09:02 AM
Veteran

Still can't understand what you are on about.

Why are you saving it movie.txt??

What do you mean by "renamed my avis to movie.avs"??

What do you mean by open with avisynth??

Where exactly are you getting the error "unable to open file , are you forcing avi to unsupported format" ??

Also what do you mean by "what i do with the actual notepad doc"??

As I said the above is a simple script, AVISynth is a scripting language, if you save the above as an AVS and run it then you are using AVISynth.
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:44 PM

Why are you saving it movie.txt??
that was in general , file is xmas2002.cd1.avi and xmas2002.cd2.avi

What do you mean by "renamed my avis to movie.avs"??
I meant i renamed xmas2002.cd1.avi to xmas2002.cd1.avs

What do you mean by open with avisynth??
I have installed AvisynthPackagev2_00 which gives shortcut called link2
I select the link2 icon, and load the avi in from that application

Where exactly are you getting the error "unable to open file , are you forcing avi to unsupported format" ??
I get the error when loading the avi (or renamed avs) file , both files give same error, avi or avs

Also what do you mean by "what i do with the actual notepad doc"??
Quote "open notepad, copy the above simple script,"

Sorry but seems i am messing with stuff i dont understand. basicly, all i want to do is cut the last 30 secs of xmas2002.cd1.avi then join the result onto xmas2002.cd2.avi

that is it simply, but like i said , cant do this through nandub ,as that app discolours the movie ,and cant do through avisynth as aint got a clue

Seems u have helped all u can and therefore will take this opportunity to thank you again and close this thread.
Old Dec 30, 2002, 07:15 PM

ok ,
1. found out that the nandub problem was caused by the angelpack codec
Found a way to get rid via registry , but it wasnt there, simply reinstalled divx codecs and the problem was solved.

Since i have been surfin around ,have been told that burning a divx to svcd isnt reallly needed ,as divx is lesser quality than svcd ,and it aint gonna get any better. have been told to burn as a vcd

Is it possible someone could add to this post a list of the order of quality ?

i thought it was dvd , divx , xvid , svcd , vcd

But have just been informed otherwise , TIA
Old Dec 30, 2002, 09:14 PM
Veteran

Well XviD definatly goes higher than DivX. Both XviD and DivX are just codecs though, the others are formats.

You can't compare a codec with a format. If you compare the codecs used in the formats then it would be.

XviD, DivX, DVD/SVCD, VCD or possibly VCD before DVD/SVCD as MPEG1 tends to handle low bitrates better.

DivX/XviD files are generally 640x??? and look much better than VCD and SVCD esp. on a PC monitor. SVCD's are 480x576/480.

So that would make it DVD-->XviD-->DivX-->SVCD-->VCD

Not sure how exactly you managed to screw up my above instructions so much, but I am glad you finally got your file joined and working.

AVISynthpackage, although it includes AVISynth is not AVISynth, link2 is for frameserving AVS files as AVI's to programs that do not accept AVS's as input.

I never said to rename the AVI's I said to paste the above text into notepad, edit it with your filenames and save that as something.avs

I said once you have saved your AVS, then treat it as an AVI, which in your case meant opening it with TMPGEnc for converting.