CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:38 PM
Veteran

Default Got 2 PC & BT ADSL, would like to share ADSL, pls teach me how would be very grateful

sponsored links

Got 2 PC & BT ADSL, would like to share ADSL, pls teach me how would be very grateful.

okay, currently got a p3 450mhz pc using win2k pro and is using BT adsl connection home 500 by using the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.

i would be getting another new pc nextweek, with AMD XP1800+ with winXP pro. Would like to create a lan, to share file/printer, but mainly would like to share the ADSL connection.

and i was told to get either of these adsl router: -

Vigor2200USB Router- ***********.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2200usb.html

Conexant ADSL Router-
***********.cazart.plus.com/conexant/

They r both recommended by friends, so they should both work for me. also i will be getting 2 cat5 straight cables for connection the pcs with the adsl router.

Here is the main bit: is there any other adsl router in the market, which is much much cheaper???

*PS- i do need a router, not just linking 2 pcs with cross over cables, this is because i want the adsl connection to be used independently, so doesn't need to have a pc to be always on for the other to go on the internet.

Would be grateful if any suggestion turn up.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 03:17 PM
Veteran

You don't need a router, just connecting the two pc's together with a crossover (x-over) cable will work. The only problem is you would need the PC connected to the modem (alcatel thingy) to be on for the other PC to use the internet.

With a router you won't need either PC to be on for the other to use the internet.

Nearly all modem-routers start from about 80 upwards. The Vigor one is just a router so needs the alcatel modem as well but the conexant want just works on its own (its a modem and router in one). If you got the conexant one you could sell your USB alcatel thing for 20 - 30 maybe more.

I use a solwise SAR-715 which is also a modem and router in one and retails for around 100 from solwise.co.uk If I were you i'd go for a modem-router, so not the Vigor one as its much less hassle, one less thing to configure etc.

Hope thats of some help for you, any more questions, just ask
Old Jan 10, 2003, 03:39 PM
Veteran

TheCaptain2k1, do you know where i can get CHEAP network cables for connecting the router to the pcs??

say cat5 straight cables (not cross-over), anywhere i can get them for cheap???

pls give me a link?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 04:44 PM
Veteran

Have you tried the bst forums? Other than that maplin.co.uk are quite cheap. The cheapest way to do it is to buy a load of cable and make as many small cables as you need but its costs about 15 for the tool to put the connectors on the end. If you use maplin don't get them to make the cable to your required lenght cos they charge 5 per connector so thats 10 for each cable + the price of the cable itself = rip off.

HTH
Old Jan 10, 2003, 04:54 PM
Veteran

May i ask how many piece of cat5 straight cables do i need??? if i am getting the router

pls bear in mind that i have BT adsl already, with the USB modem, i am not so sure if the current USB is connecting the main socket using a cat5 cable.... lol

any1?