CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Default anyway to keep an adsl connection running in standby?

sponsored links

Hi,

I was wandering whether it was possible to keep adsl going when a PC is on standby. I have tried it, but it turns off my adsl usb modem.

Is there anyway/setting to do this?

Thanks
Akhil
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:55 PM
Veteran

Your modem is connected via USB, therefore when the system goes to standby so do the USB ports. Anything connected therefore goes down too.

Does your DSL modem also have a standard ethernet port? What make\modem modem is it?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:58 PM
suspended

I'm not at all sure that this will work though, but it's worth a try. You could try going to device manager and click the USB hub. Find out which one your modem is using (if you have more than one)by right clicking on one, choose properties, and click the "power" tab. When you find the correct one, click the "power management" tab and uncheck the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box. Click OK.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 01:10 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the help - tried it, but it still goes off in standby

The moment is an acatel speed touch 330 USB ADSL modem
Old Jan 23, 2004, 02:36 AM
Veteran

It's not going to happen I'm afraid m8. Even if you were to get an internal ADSL modem, it would still power off when you enter standby. Even if you found a way to keep the modem powered, Windows will still have entered standby so no process (Like ICS) would stay open.

If you want to be able to share your connection permenantly, I would suggest buying a router.