CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 09, 2002, 06:00 AM
Veteran

Question Need Boot Disk Help<---

sponsored links

Hey all,

I got this motherboard here, model :

MSI-6309.

I need a BIOS update for it. I find the site and download the bios update for it. Now on the README File it says make your disk bootable with MS-DOS
Prompt, and type this to make floppy disk bootable

Format A:/S

I typed that in the DOS Prompt but it says :

"Microsoft Windows does no longer support /s command"

What? I need to make this disk bootable so I could update the bios for my motherboard when I restart the computer.

Why does it say that?

I have Windows Me, is there another way to make it bootable so when I restart it boots up from disk.

Thanks all,

LATERZ DohDoh
Old May 09, 2002, 06:09 AM
Veteran

You can do it in Windows, or simply go to ***********.bootdisk.com and download one from there.

Regards
Old May 09, 2002, 07:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by The Magpies [/i]
[B]You can do it in Windows, or simply go to ***********.bootdisk.com and download one from there.

Regards [/B]

What do you mean magpie?

Download what from there?

I do not need a Windows Boot Disk, I need to know how to make a bootable floppy disk to that my bios disk can be loaded at start up.

Help

LATERZ DohDoh
Old May 09, 2002, 08:12 AM

Windows Boot Disk is the same thing as bootable floppy disk, they both mean the same thing. Go to that website like magpies said and download the bootdisk setup for your OS.
Old May 09, 2002, 10:19 AM
Veteran

But then how will that update my bios?

I mean I have to download the bios from the website, and extract to the floppy disk, but the floppy must be bootable.

I do not get it

Sorry, never updated a bios before

LATERZ DohDoh
Old May 09, 2002, 11:00 AM

OK, first of all, we need to know if this bios updater you're extracting to a floppy disk has it's own booter. Meaning that if you stick in the bios update disk when you turn on the pc, will it boot the pc and automatically update the bios? Some bios updaters requires you to boot into DOS using a separate boot disk; so with this method you'll need two floppy disk(the bios updater and the boot disk).

Try this, stick that bios updater disk in and turn on your pc, if you get that "Non-bootable device" message then it doesn't have its own booter.
Closed Thread