CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:35 PM

Default laptop want do anything

sponsored links

Its plugged in, light is blinking to let you know its plugged in. When I hit power button, nothing happens. No HD noise or anything. It had being doing this off and on. One day it will boot then the next day it want. Now it never boots.....What should I replace or check first...Its a Pentium II Dell. Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:48 AM
Veteran

Can you get into the BIOS before it tries to boot up? If you have a floppy drive you could try booting to DOS, or perhaps from the CD if you've only got a cd drive. If that works the chances are it's your hard disk. The trouble with laptops is that most parts can't be relplaced like with desktops so you might be struggling. Could try taking it somewhere to be looked at to see what's faulty, but that's gonna cost. AFAIK the only replacable components in laptops are the hard drive, memory, other drives (which shouldn't be the problem) and the mini PCI card if it has one. Other than that, I don't think you can replce the mobo, cpu, power supply, etc.

Not much help then....sorry!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 01:31 PM

there is nothing but a black screen when I hit the power button. Not sure what to do now. thanks for your help.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 09:12 AM

Smile

From the sounds of it, you need to determine, the fault, ie, could be your cpu has died, ram fault or your bios has corrupted.

You can usually reset Bios by shorting the Cmos battery, if you can access it. sometimes there is a pinhole on the bottom of the laptop which is for reseting bios, usually a paperclip can be pushed through hole to hit the reset button.

Ram - if you have two sticks of ram, try using one at a time, to see if either one is faulty, usually with a ram fault you will get an error beep though on post.

Altnatively it could be your cpu, only way of knowing is changing you cpu for a known working one, depending on you experiance with laptops, you may want somebody with experiance to open up your laptop.

I hope I was of some help