CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:19 AM

Exclamation Please Help, computer wont start!! [; ; win98SE]

sponsored links

After downloading Linux today, I burnt it and wanted to install it on my other computer(old Ibm). I unplugged my main(e-machines) computer and plugged in my old IBM. After the installation didn't succeed I had enough and plugged my E-machines back in.(plugged=power supply, because i used the same one for both)
Now, windows doesn't load, and I went into my Bios setup and the only IDE device that's recognized is my Cd-Rom not my Hard Drive!
I get the following message :
Searching for Boot Record from Floppy..Not Found

202: Drive Not Ready
203:Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready

if i press anything the message repeats. I thought maybe there was a problem with My HDD but i installed at as a secondary on my 3rd computer and it read the drive fine. This HD is the biggest which is 80 GB and my other is much less so it wouldn't be easy backing things up, which is my last case scenario.
(My E-machines has windows 98se and was not the computer linux was installed on)

Anyone know how i Can get my Pc back up Safely and not lose any Data?

I've had a really bad day so if someone can help me I'd really really apprecaite it

Last edited by rap112; Sep 25, 2002 at 12:39 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:56 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Post Bootup problems

203:Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready.

Did you try inserting your bootdisk in the floppy drive, and turning the computer on, and booting up with it ?

dustie
Old Sep 25, 2002, 01:19 AM

I think it said i should try using FDisk. I just can't understand why i would need to format my computer if it was working perfectly fine today. I will get the exact message it gives me and post back later.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 01:39 AM
suspended

Somehow when you power off the Win98 machine, the system files on C: got corrupted.

Use a Win98 bootdisk in A: to start the system then from A: prompt type "sys c:" without the quotes to transfer the system files to C:. Remove the bootdisk then reboot the system to see if this fixes the problem.

If you don't have a Win98 bootdisk, one can be downloaded [url=www.bootdisk.com]HERE.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:21 AM

when i typed in "sys C:" all i got was "invalid function."

when i ran the Bootdisk it said:
"Windows 98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32partition. There are several possible causes.

1.The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a partition on the drive, run FDISK from the MS-DOS command prompt.

2.you may be using third-party disk-partitioning software. If youare using this type of software, remove the Emergency Boot Disk and restart your computer. Then, follow the on- Screen instructions to start your computer froma floppy disk.
3.Some viruses also cause you drive C to not register. You can use a virus scanning program to check your computer for viruses."

I can't understand how the disk wouldn't be partitioned when it was working an hour before I switched computers. I'm not too sure that's the problem because when I go into Bios under IDE, the only thing detected is my CD ROM. My HDD doesn't appear, so how can the bootdisk see a problem in the Drive if the computer doesn't detect it at all. Last night I wanted to see if my Drive was ok so i put it in my other coputer as a secondary HDD and everything was ok.

I don't know too much, but would there be any way I can save this HDD without backing it up and formatting? Maybe I can put this HDD in my other computer and partition it? would I lose any Data if i do soand how could I do it?( I have partition magic if that helps)
Please someone shine some light on me
I appreciate all the help
thank you m8s

Last edited by rap112; Sep 25, 2002 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:57 PM
Veteran

u may need PartitionMagic see ***********.powerquest.com/