CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:05 PM
Veteran

Unhappy Having problems with WMP [; ; win98]

sponsored links

Hey people,

I have a problem with Windows Media Player. It plays some videos and some not. When i go to www.ign.com to see a video clip of a game, sometimes the movie opens with QuickTime so i can watch the movie with no problems. But if it runs with Windows Media Player, it shows me a black screen. I have some small movies in my computer. I tried to run an intro of the game MAFIA and it worked fine. But I also have a video Clip of Mortal Kombat 5 which runs with WMP but it doesn't work, it gives me this error message:

Windows Media Player cannot play this file. Connect to the Internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play the file again

What's the problem?? I don't understand the error message.
Sorry for my bad English
Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:40 PM

I am not sure why this happens, but you can right click on the file of the mortal combat 5 and chose the player you would like to play the file, such as quicktime, or realplayer if you have either of those programs, Hope this helps
Old Nov 30, 2002, 11:19 PM
Veteran

Pkv1, I tried ur trick but it didn't work. Right-click on the file but i didnt see anywhere to choose the player i want the movie to run to.

Now I discovered that even music doesn't work. I went to settings and i set WMP to read all movies. But still not working. The Mortal Kombat 5 works with WMP when its in my hard disk but when i play it(the same file) in it's site which is ign.com it shows me black screen. So when i save to my cpu it works but when i try to watch it online it doesn't.

PLZ help.

Last edited by AMDcriminal; Dec 01, 2002 at 02:46 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2002, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Unhappy

Guys??? plz help
Old Dec 03, 2002, 08:27 PM

quicktime .qt are licensed to quicktime. you need the quicktime player to view quicktime movies,

real media (.rm) files ect are licensed to real ... youll need real audio / real player to view these. i havent gone to your link, but its possible to imbed movies into a webpage, therefore preventing the user from downloading them, and if this isnt working id suggest
-update your browser
-apply SP's to recent.
- Get the latest active x

cheers

Microsoft arent allowed to just add in quicktime support, your movie not playing is by design..

all information is from a 'as per my opinion'