CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:34 AM

Default Router I/O ports!!! HELP

sponsored links

I have a SMC router, works SUPER for my home lan!!! But i have problems with TCP & UDP ports and stuff!!?!?!?!?!?!?

IM lost, the setup on me router looks like this:
Trigger Port|Trigger Type| Public Port| Public Type|Enabled|
Can someone explain this to me or point me to a site?

I need this to work so i can host a server on MIrc and get that incoming TCP thing on WinMX.

And i appologies for my last point where I had a link to my picture of graphics errors I have, but my java buttons stopped working, but it all back online now, please help there if you can!!
********members.fortunecity.com/themafiatr/index.htm

click on the "Help Me" link and the top left.
THanks for your help.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 01:42 PM

Which side is the trigger port? From me, or too me?
Old Jul 25, 2002, 09:40 PM

Doesn't anyone know about this?
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:48 PM
suspended

I'm going to move this to the Computer Networking and Security forum for you.

Last edited by ElaineM; Jul 25, 2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 09:31 AM
Veteran

OK, here you go. . .

[b]Trigger port[/b] - all applications use a port to access network/internet resources. Such as - www is port 80, POP email is 110, etc. A trigger port is a port that the SMC will monitor for outgoing traffic and will do a particular thing when it sees it.

[b]Trigger Type[/b] - That is the type of packet that the data will be that is going out of the trigger port. It will be either TCP or UDP.

[b]Public Port[/b] - When the SMC sees data on the trigger port, and it is of the trigger type specified, then it will map that data to the public port, which you specify.

[b]Enabled[/b] Simply enables the rule.

For instance, if you had an email server on the internet that operated at port 1234 for some ungodly reason. BUT, you email program had to use port 110 to get email. You would set up a trigger port of 110, trigger type of TCP and Public Port of 1234. That tells the SMC that when it sees TCP traffic headed to the internet from your LAN on port 110, it should actually send it out on port 1234. Then, when traffic comes back in on port 1234, it maps it back to port 110. Make sense? It is basically port redirection.

Hope this helps.

-Zack-
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:43 AM

Wow, thanks man.!!!

But one more thing, do you know how to do it with IRC. and can the trigger port be the same as public port, or would that defeat the purpose?