CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 25, 2003, 01:35 PM

Default Abit mobo - CPU and GFX Card Upgrade

sponsored links

Hi all,

I've been out of the pc hardware scene for quite a while (about 18 months) but I've gotten more into gaming and want more speed and a better cpu and video card (finding that the system is starting to lag on alot of games!).

My specs:

Abit KG7 mobo
AMD 1400 cpu
2 x 256mb PC2100 DDR
Geforce 2 MX400 video card (sucks I know!)

I'd like to upgrade the cpu (without changing the mobo) and the video card.

Does anyone know what the fastest CPU the mobo will take now and which video card to get for 100 max (new or used price) where I will definately notice the difference from the MX400 (I only play on a 15" TFT at its natural 1024x768 resolution).
Will the mobo or memory bottle neck the system if I do upgrade the CPU and video card?

Cheers for any input.
Old May 25, 2003, 09:27 PM
Veteran

Good Ram+Good Videocard+Fast Processor=Power
Low Ram+Good Videocard+Fast Processor=Slow Computer
Good Ram+Good Videocard+Slow Processor=Not Enough Speed
Good Ram+Bad Videocard+Fast Processor=Not Enough Gaming Power
Low Ram+Bad Videocard+Slow Processor=Garbage Can

You do the math.
Old May 26, 2003, 05:22 AM

Didn't really help at all but thanks!
As I said, I've been out of the scene for about 18 months so I'm not too sure on what hardware is still considered reasonable/good for gaming without having to spend mega bucks!

OK, in simpler terms:

IS PC2100 DDR now considered slow, medium or what?
IS the mobo considered slow, medium or what?
Is it worth upgrading the CPU and Video Card whilst leaving the RAM and Mobo alone?

I think that's about as simple as I can put it!
Old May 26, 2003, 09:13 AM
Veteran

basic kg7:-
***********.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=28
looks like 2100 ddr is top line.
cpu top line, athlon xp palomino to 2100+ or xp t/bred to 2000+
imho,
all mobo running top line= medium
is it worth it?
well the mx is a cut down board to start with, so a g3 or g4 ti would give alot better results.
i dont know much about o/clocking but you may get 2gig out of xp2000+ on that or a new board at a later date.
so over all good improvement, still medium, but yes.
Old May 30, 2003, 09:50 AM

MX cards are garbage.....go get a cheap TI card..u'll definately see the difference.....ur probably going to have to upgrade ur board to upgrade ur processor....the nforce2 board have GF4MX card integrated into it. you could probably pick one up for about 100 or so...abit nf7-m is a nice one
Old May 30, 2003, 11:14 AM
Veteran

It all depends on whether you top of the line gaming with all the bells and whistles which will probably involve a change of almost every part in your system - or if you are quite happy to not be cutting edge but still able to play the latest games comfortably.

Firstly, the cpu. AMD 1400 isn't fast BUT it isn't all that slow either. You can pick up a full XP 2000+ (top speed for your motherboard) for around 45 these days which your board will take. That'll give you a nice speed boost.

Graphics card - For games, an MX just doesn't cut it. It's okay for desktop stuff and older 3D stuff but for recent games it's next to useless. A GF4 ti 4200 (the bottom range GF4 titanium) with 128meg DDR can be picked up for about 80 - you can get an ATI radeon of simlar spec slightly cheaper. Either card will give an instant boost to your system. It's not top of the range graphic power but will complement an XP2000+ pretty well. I use a ti4200 alongside an AMD XP2200+ and havn't had problems with all my games running at 1024x768x32 with no slowdowns at all with everything turned on full and antialiasing at 4x.

Memory - 2100DDR isn't that bad and as it's the fastest you're current board will take then anything faster isn't an option. You have 512meg which is plenty for everyday use so unless you're buying a new motherboard then this area is fine.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by andyr; May 30, 2003 at 11:17 AM.