CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:28 AM

Default Screen goes blank after "Playstation 2" Opening screen

sponsored links

Hi,

I have a Matrix Infinity 1.54 chip (well a clone of it really... only clones are available in India) in my v.12 slimline ps2, and I have a very weird problem with some of my backup games - the initial sony entertainment screen boots up fine, shortly followed by the "Playstation 2" opening screen, but then after that one of two things happen - either the screen stays blank (i.e.black) or it goes to the red insert correct playstation format disc screen. The only other time it does anything different is when it opens up the browser and shows my memory card and a playstation disc icon, clicking on which only refreshes the same screen and so on and so on (and this only happens before it reaches the "Playstation 2" screen).....

now, this only happens with a few games and not all of my backup games.

My local repair shop put in the Matrix infinity clone (I used to have a Messiah chip - again, a clone), and he has also changed the laser, but neither has seemed to have made any difference.

Now my guess at this point was that maybe it's just a matter of low quality DVD-Rs.... but the weird thing is that these same games work perfectly on my friend's old regular big ps2!!! and to top it off, they even work on the repair guy's slimline ps2 (which has a matrix infinity too)!!!!!

[B]What is going on?!?!?!?[/B]

[B]Help![/B]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:38 AM

Basically there's probably nothing wrong with your PS2 or your chip - these things just happen sometimes and lets face it, you're getting the games free!

However, you could try using a different type of DVDR media - most people find disks manufactured by Ritek work best for PS2 - you could burn at a slower speed - you could unrar the iso again (I'm presuming you download the files?)

But if you look at my post, just before yours, you'll see that sometimes nothing works! I've tried everything to get Driver and Midnight Club to work, and used up about 10 disks, with no joy - and yet The Godfather worked first time - same type of disk, same PC, same PS2!

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:07 AM

No, I have not downloaded the files.... I bought the games from a store... my repairman's conjecture was that it's probably got something to do with the slim ps2s having a weaker laser than the first few generations of ps2s.... but then why would the same games work with his slim ps2 and not mine?

If I had paid full price for original games of course I would be hopping mad!! But, I am still a little frustrated because I don't know what exactly is wrong.

I have now ordered a DVD writer, and a stack of TDK DVD-Rs, so hopefully I will have better luck with those.

[b]One question[/b]: if I used the DVD writer to copy some of these games (which are very obviously on low quality media) that are not working in my ps2, to a better quality DVD-R (i.e. TDK), would they then work on my ps2?

The reason I would want to do that is because a) if it works it would confirm that the problem is of the quality of the media; and b) with a 256kbps connection, it takes days to download a game, so if that method works, I would rather use it to play the 5-6 games that I have that are not working.

Last edited by vebmetal; Mar 23, 2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:21 AM

hello, no replies????
Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:31 AM

sorry mopezone,but you are wrong

first off vebmetal,you are crazy for buying a matrix infinity clone aka modbo,sorry for being so blunt....
you should have done your research first...

firstly,i hope you have had the laser fix done,as if you havent,it wont be long before you fry the laser anyway,and secondly..(you have the matrix flashed with 1.54 firmware)

but i need to know what modbo chip it is,(the 1.54 is the firmware,and not the chip model)
can you find out what version of clone it is?,is it v2.1?
the latest matrix chips need to have the firmware flashed....but,if you try and flash the chip you have,it will instantly destroy your ps2,i can guarantee you that.

it may just be a case of using better media,and i hope for your sake it is
Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:40 AM

here is a link i found,someone in the same position as you

***********.pstation.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18516