CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:25 AM

Default I have this problem too!

sponsored links

I have this problem too and it is driving me crazy.
I have a pack of Medianca CD RW's and Maxwell CD-R's.
I have windows xp.

When I put a CDRW into the rewriter drive and try to delete the contents or add new contents it says that this disc is read only !

When I put new Maxwell CD-R's into the drive it does not even recognise that there is a disc in the drive and the same thing happens with new CD -RW's!

The only good thing is that I can read the data on previously recorded discs or discs that my friends record for me.

I have no idea what to do next which is very frustrating.

Any help appreciated

Phillipa
Old Feb 20, 2006, 03:18 AM

Hi Phillipa

You need to have some burning software installed.

The burning software that comes with XP will not allow addition and/or deletion of files to a CD-RW as already explained.

XP itself , via Explorer, will not recognise a new blank CD-R & that's a fact you have to live with.

If you want to be able to update files (add/delete etc) on a Cd-RW then the only way I know is to use Roxio's DragtoDisk function. This means buying the complete package however. You could probably get this cheaply on ebay & it's best to get version 7 or 7.5 rather than earlier or later versions.

Roxio is maligned by many people but it's my preferred software for Audio & MP3 CD creation, straight disk copying & a few other functions. Plus it gives you the update of CD-RW function.

Don't be tempted to think that Nero's Incd software will do the same as DragToDisk 'cos it won't & it's a horrible piece of software.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:45 PM

Thankyou Tim!

You were right. I downloaded a lovely cd burner (freeware) called flash cd and dvd burner and it reads, formats and copies all my cds a treat. But I take it that this Roxio software is the one to get from your post so I will keep my eyes open for that.

Many thanks for your post
x