CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:01 AM

Default PC shut down when CD inserted

sponsored links

Hi,

My Pc specification is as follows:
-Processor: AMD K62 - 350MHz
-RAM : 128MB
-Hard disk: 12GB

I recently purchased Samsung 52X32X52X+16X combo drive. I installed it as slave on secondary IDE, and my dard disk is master in primary IDE. I did not change anything on BIOS. Previously, I had CRROM 40X running as slave on secondary IDE, but now it is replaced with samsung combo drive.

After installing the drive in my Windowx XP system, my system booted properly. Then, I tried to install the provided software. When I first inserted a CD into the drive, the display in the monitor changed (to lower quality and stalled), after few seconds, my PC shut down automatically. What could be the cause? Is it because my system is very slow and low in specification or it is due to something else? The samsung drive requires at least 400MHz Pentium II with 128MB of RAM..

Thankx
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:13 AM

What CD Burning Software did you install and what version is it?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:27 AM

The CD contains Nero Burning software. But the problem is not with the software, as my PC immediately shuts down once the CR_RW drive starts to spin. DO you think it is due to my low Pc specification or some other reasons?
Old Jan 04, 2006, 04:16 AM

It could be the specs of the machine.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:08 AM

Default Possible solution:

I had a similar problem but my computer's problem was a harware problem over an operating problem.

This can simply be detirmined by trying to run setup several times through bootup (as if you we're trying to install it) and see if it crashes then. If it does crash then you a certain it is a hardware problem. If it doesnt, then it is a software problem.

Software solution: Re-install windows with a fresh copy, find correct drivers for CD-RW/DVD combo. Also obtain a copy of a decent anti-virus software (not the cheap nasty ones that sometimes come with mother board CD's) Eg. Norton/McAfee) and check for virus'

Hardware soltuion: Check power supply to CD-Rom is stable, try a different power plug source. Change from Primary Master to slave or Vice versa, or try changing from Primary Master/Slave to Secondary Slave/Master (Change Slave to Master or vice versa for this aswell). Also try detatching (if connected) any firewire or additional USB ports you have connected either at the front or rear. Also run an anti-virus software that can check your bios for a virus.

If you find that it is a hardware problem and you require ALL IDE Primary/Secondary Master and Slaves, All USB's and Firewires, consider having you're PC looked at as you may have damaged the motherboard when installing your new CD-RW/DVD-Combo.

Even your power supply is sensitive to static electricity, always make sure you are earthed when you're case is open to prevent damage. Damage can occur to you're board with the slightest touch and your system will still turn on, certain features may cause you're PC to crash though.

If this helps, please reply with which Solution(s) worked.