CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 06, 2006, 09:18 AM

Default unreliability

sponsored links

Is it just me or what.

None of my CD-ROMS work anymore. Why????

I thought these bloody things were supposed to be indestructible but 50% of my photos that I "Archived" and 70% of my Mpegs, together with the VCDs I created for home viewing are no good.

They all once worked fine in whatever reader I put them in (eg my DVD player for the TV or my laptop for mpegs and jpegs) but now they have all decayed.

I repeat that they all worked fine once.

I have lost hours of work and many memories. Most of the mpegs give me "Cyclical something or other" when I try to play or copy them.

I have suffered a mass failure and it seems to be more acute the older the discs are. Those recorded 12 months ago now fail 100% of the time.
Old Feb 06, 2006, 09:52 AM

Discs can fail due to a number of factors such as the brand, where they are stored (out of direct sunlight), the color of the dye among other things.

Unfortunatley the only way to keep safe backups is to make two copies of everything, yes a pain!
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:33 PM

These were TDKs, the most expensive I could get. They have not been stored in sunlight but in proper CD storage boxes.

With respect to the "Cyclic thingie" I downloaded a CD Check programme but some of the mpegs were going to take 36 hours to repair!!!! (I abandoned the attempts at 7,500 errors or there abouts as a complete waste of time).
Old Feb 06, 2006, 08:10 PM

If they were stored out of the sunlight and at normal indoor temperatures, then it's either your system or the media.

If possible, try some of your discs in another PC first to make sure that the problems aren't specific to your system.

TDK media could have been made by several different companies, and the quality varies a lot. TDK *****d out their name / reputation long ago and started outsourcing some of their manufacturing to companies like Ritek (ok) or CMC (crap). The disc and package artwork looks the same, so you need to use an app like CDRinfo to tell what you have. I think the mfg id apps only work on blanks, so you'd need an unwritten CDR from the same batch. If you know exactly what to look for, you could probably tell by looking at the color & pattern of the dye, but it's hard to describe.
It's a horrible practice where two identical looking packs side-by-side on a store shelf can be radically different quality, but all the major companies have been outsourcing for a while.

If you want reliable CD-R media, buy some Taiyo Yudens or MAM-As online. These are high-quality Japanese manufacturers and you'll know exactly what you're getting.

As far as a solution,
- the 1st thing I'd do is look at the bottom of your CD-Rs. If there are a lot of scratches / smudges, you may be able to recover more of the data by using a scratch repair or CD cleaner device before reading.
- then, try reading any CD-Rs that will still read and reburn onto better media. Try using an app like CDRWin that lets you control some of the read parameters. If you read at the slowest possible speed and set the error retry count to the maximum you'll have the best chance for recovery.
- also, if you want your CD-Rs to last, do NOT stick CD labels on the top, run them through CD-R printers, etc. Labels are notorious for causing short shelf life, either because the glue seeps into the CD-R or moisture gets trapped under the label and seeps into the CD-R. Either way, your data won't last long.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old Feb 06, 2006, 08:34 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Holmes
Is it just me or what.

None of my CD-ROMS work anymore. Why????

I thought these bloody things were supposed to be indestructible but 50% of my photos that I "Archived" and 70% of my Mpegs, together with the VCDs I created for home viewing are no good.

They all once worked fine in whatever reader I put them in (eg my DVD player for the TV or my laptop for mpegs and jpegs) but now they have all decayed.

I repeat that they all worked fine once.

I have lost hours of work and many memories. Most of the mpegs give me "Cyclical something or other" when I try to play or copy them.

I have suffered a mass failure and it seems to be more acute the older the discs are. Those recorded 12 months ago now fail 100% of the time.
Paul, all hope may not be lost. Try a program called IsoBuster to recover your work and memories. I recently used this program and it worked for me. You can try it for free. Please let me know if it works for you. Here is the link.

***********.isobuster.com/
Old Feb 06, 2006, 10:52 PM

Arrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

You have (I think) hit it on the head, NightCrawler.

I have applied sticky labels to ALL of my discs including all of my mpeg video clips of my family but also to over 60 DVDs taken from VCR tapes of steam railways.

Bloody hell.... I'd better start to copy them fast....

How long have I got before they all decay?

Secondly how do I print direct to a disc?? Doesn't it damage them as they go around the roller??