CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 01, 2005, 11:46 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

"HandyGuy a few months ago told me that GMail wasn't by invitation only and that it was available on their search page to anyone."

It was right there on their main page. I guess you weren't fast enough. It's not my doing if you're too slow to get a deal.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 01:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Who are you trying to kid?

I clicked on that link on the same day!

Anyway, show me now.

Oh, let me guess, they took the "deal" away?
Old Apr 05, 2005, 10:02 PM

Hi, its me again

I haven't had a chance to mess around with this problem untill now.....

i looked in BIOS again, and tryed messing around with something, and i guess i needed to change something in order to see the DMA settings

I looked in the advance tab under IDE configuration and I noticed something now that I didn't before...
it lists Primary IDE controller, primary slave, Secondary IDE controler and secondary slave.... but I have 5 devices, and my 1st main HD isn't listed.

When I slect each one they were all on Auto, I changed them to user and thats when i saw the DMA seting.... it was disabled, i turned them all on the the highest level, DMA 4...

its still the same, the first HD is still off.... but its interesting that its not even listed in BIOS.... this must mean soemthing right?
Old Apr 05, 2005, 10:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

You've kinda lost me a bit.

I don't have your computer in front of me so I need you to explain what is what and where.

DMA should be enabled for that drive and I don't know why it's not. Hard drives and CD drives don't need special drivers, Windows has native support so it's normally a straight forward process, basically install Windows and it should do the rest.

If you can't enable DMA, then I would update all the motherboard drivers.

If after that you are still having problems and you post back, then include what is installed where, for eg,

Primary controller has two hard drives, one master one slave, both with DMA.

Secondary controller has two optical drives.......

Device Manager has ......etc etc.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:19 AM

what harddrive is it?
its not a scsi is it?
Old Apr 06, 2005, 12:20 PM

yeah, I'm trying to get the drivers for my motherboard, I don't know what kind of board I have or where to get the drivers, I'm trying to get a response from Dell...

ok I will tell you everthing I see so far....

in device manager
Primary IDE controller, for Device 0 and 1,
DMA if available is selected
current trasnfer mode is Ultra DMA Mode 4

Secondary IDE Controller, for Device 0 and 1,
DMA if available is selected
current trasnfer mode is Ultra DMA Mode 4

When I go into BIOS, on the advanced tab. And go to IDE configuration....it shows 4 of my devices....

Primary controller
2nd hard drive (master)
3rd hard drive (slave)

Secondary Controller
1st DVD rom (master)
2nd DVD rom (slave)

I changed the option from auto to user, which then allowed me to change the DMA settings, but this had no effect on anything (I think auto had it running right anyway for those 4 devices)
But it doesn't show the 1st HD at all, my main HD, the one I have windows on.
I don't know what i'm doing here really, but this seems like its the problem.....

Maybe i should open my computer and change ribbons on the controller card so it would have all 3 of my HDs show up in BIOS and 1 DVD rom.... I never even use my other DVD rom anyway. I wonder if that would work? So then one of my DVDs roms would have DMA off, but my HD would be on?

Well I will get this driver update first, but if that doesn't work I'll try switching the cables around and see what happens.

I honestly don't know if DMA has always been turned off for my first HD (since it shoped it as on in device manager as it does now even though its really off), all I can say is its only recently that I have noticed alot of slowdown when i burn things. its mostly if i try and do other things while its burning, surfing the net, running programs etc. I know, Its not good to do other things while burning becuase it can cause errors, but thats the thing, I NEVER got errors when I burn. Only time i get errors is when the disk itself is defective.

no, the hard drive isn't scsi

I hope what I said made sense and you can understand, if not let me know. I will work on getting these drivers..... i will call Dell later, since they aren't responding to me through the net.