CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:53 AM

Default DVD copy and ripping software, suggestions?

sponsored links

What is the best software for making backup copies of your DVD movies???

i know that DVD-X copy is out there, and that is pretty good, but does that allow full ripping to the hard drive?

i want to have a collection of movies on my hard drive AND on another disk. that way i can be sure that NOTHING is going to be destroyed in a horrible horrible accident.

anyone have some recomondations? i need DVD copy AND ripping capabilities.

one more question, will a duplicator copy a DVD or CD no matter what kind of copy protection it has on it? i may want one of those because my computer...sucks...and can't do everything i want it to do all at once. if i were to burn a DVD i would have to set it up to burn, then go to bed.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
Veteran

I would take DVD Shrink over DVD X COPY any day. DVD Shrink is legal freeware. www.dvdshrink.org and doesn't put the annoying backup warning on it's movies (yes, I know that can be removed). DVD Shrink gives you more options (selecting compression levels, lets you use more space on the DVD-R than DVD X COPY, ripping out the audio tracks you don't want, ect.). The newest DVD Shrink also has a deep ****ysis feature. It takes a while but it greatly improves the quality of the backup which comes in handy on movies that require high levels of compression. All you need is a seperate burning program (Full version of Nero or Recordnow Max) to burn it to disc. You can also pick up DVD Decrypter for movies that already fit onto a DVD-R. www.dvddecrypter.com
Old Nov 18, 2003, 02:00 PM

" Best " is subjective. I've used a few programs and the ones which I highly recommend are: DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and Nero. They're all easy to use, do a great job and free! Unless you've got a massively huge HD you probably won't be able to have a very large collection on your HD as these files are big...regular DVD files are about 6-9 GB while shrunken DVD files are about 3-4.3 GB. Never used a duplicator so I couldn't help you with that one. Good luck!
Old Nov 18, 2003, 05:05 PM
Veteran

" i may want one of those because my computer...sucks..."

You may want to give all your system specs so we know what software to suggest.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:27 PM

well, by suck i mean i do not have a DVD writter. i have a reader and a CD drive.

i also happen to have a TV tuner card, which through use of some coax cables have hooked up to a 40.00 dvd player i snagged at best buy.

i was planning ot get JUST the movie and burn it to multiple spanning super video compact disks, but now that this software exists, i'm good.

i can still use the CDs cause their cheeper. also, since i will have the DVD in my hard drive with full menu's and all i will be able to simply re-burn disks, or use the saved just movie files for the TV captured versions.

i do however still need a switch for all the red, yellow, and white cables i got around from my playstation, dreamcast, TV tuner, and DVD player. not to mention soon to have heavily modded X-box and modded PS2.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:
Gateway 700S series desktop
2.4Ghz processor Pentium 4
512MB RD-RAM
Total 180GB Hard drive space (120GB and 60GB)
DVD reader 16X
CD Writter 52X read 48X write dunno the re-write
ATI Tv capture wonder internal PCI TV tuner card
128MB Gforce MX 440 video card

i am sure that is good enough for whatever you have to recomend. so let's do this thing!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:12 PM
Veteran

Well seeing as how you are going to have to use about 6-7 CD-Rs to get the capacity of 1 DVD-R disc, you really aren't saving that much. DVD Burners are cheap enough now that I would really look into investing in one.