CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:47 PM

Thumbs down Can a "data CD-R" be formatted (initialized) into a "music CD-R"?:

sponsored links

Just like floppy disks being formatted (initialized), so that you could use them in your disk drive for the computer. Now referring to compact discs, can a "Data CD-R" be formatted (initialized) into a "Music CD-R", so that you can use it in a stand alone CD Recorder? That would make sense though. If so, what program or utility could format (initialize) a "Data CD-R" into a "Music CD-R", so that I can use it for a stand alone CD Recorder? I would like to format (initialize) a "Data CD-RW" into a "Music CD-RW" to use for my Sony RCD-W500C stand alone CD recorder. I would like to know which program or utility can format (initialize) a "Data CD-RW" into a "Music CD-RW" in Sony format, so that my Sony RCD-W500C stand alone CD Recorder can record on it easily, if there is such a thing. "Music CD-RW" are not in the market these days. Best Buy, Staples, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. don't even have "Music CD-RW". It seems like you can only get the "Data CD-RW". Can you please help me or tell me about how or whether or not "Data CD-R/Data CD-RW" can be formatted (initialized) into "Music CD-R/Music CD-RW"?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:56 PM
Veteran

You can copy Data or music files to CD-R/RW Data discs, no initialization is needed.

You select what type of disc you want to make with the program you use such as Nero or Easy CD/DVD creator etc.

With a stand alone recorder you need to know what type of discs are compatable with it such as CD-R/RW or CD+R/RW types.

colin.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 06:57 PM

I need to format (initialize) the "Data CD-R" in Sony format meaning convert "Data CD-R" to "Music CD-R", so that my Sony stand alone CD Recorder can record it. Stand alone CD Recorders will not read "Data CD-R". I was hoping that a "Data CD-R" could be converted to "Music CD-R".
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler68
You can copy Data or music files to CD-R/RW Data discs, no initialization is needed.

You select what type of disc you want to make with the program you use such as Nero or Easy CD/DVD creator etc.

With a stand alone recorder you need to know what type of discs are compatable with it such as CD-R/RW or CD+R/RW types.

colin.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:54 PM

I too would be interested to find out if the data cd-r can be reformatted to handle the recording of music to a stand-alone recorder. My dad has bought two stacks of data discs (2 different manufacturers) and his JVC recorder displays an error of "no audio disc" when he tries to record tunes. I have no problem using them on my PC though in the same music capacity.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:00 PM
Veteran

As i have already stated a CD-R disc is already formated for either data or audio to be recorded to it.

It CAN NOT be formated into any other format.

I do know that some stand alone recorders can be very picky as to the discs they can use, i sugest you try to find the makers site and see if there is any info there as to what brand can be used.

Can you say what type of format does this music take that you are trying to make, mp3, wav, etc.

colin.
Old May 08, 2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks. Well that's a bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler68
As i have already stated a CD-R disc is already formated for either data or audio to be recorded to it.

It CAN NOT be formated into any other format.

I do know that some stand alone recorders can be very picky as to the discs they can use, i sugest you try to find the makers site and see if there is any info there as to what brand can be used.

Can you say what type of format does this music take that you are trying to make, mp3, wav, etc.

colin.