CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:26 PM

Default DVD Writer isn't recognized as a Burner

sponsored links

Hello fellow CDROM-Guide members! I'm pretty much a "newbie" here with a problem with my DVD Burner. I decided to post here because it seems like a really nice and helpful community. I hope to help people out here as much as they help me. Meh, I'm getting side tracked. Anyways, heres my problem.

My HP Dvd Writer 400C now for some reason isn't being recognized as a DVD burner in Windows. For example, when I try to insert blank DVD's and to try access the drive it asks me to insert a disc -- but I already have. What proves that Windows isn't recognizing it is that in the properties of the drive there is no "Recording tab"; thus, it's being recognized as a CD/DVD reader, which it does fine as of now. However, when trying to burn CD's, it recognizes the disc, but once you commence burning I immediately get a "Disc Terminated with Errors" with Nero Ultra 6.

Now, I have tried a number of this to resolve this problem, but they made no difference at all. I tried the manual registry fix on Microsoft's website (which advised me to look into the registry file which dealt with drive type; mine was set to 1 [along with 3 of my other computers, which have no problems whatsoever]), started up the IMAPI service in windows, uninstalled a bunch of CD burning and other possible conflicted programs, and am now going to try to repair the Windows installation. I don't have any Roxio products on my computer, so that definately isn't the problem. The programs I uninstalled were: Nero Ultra 6, DVD Rebuilder, DVD Santa, DVD Decrypter, Primo DVD, and Norton Systemworks 2005 Professional. Uninstalling these programs, were a waste as they made no difference whatsoever. Additionally, I have restored my computer to many save points using System Restore and have the latest firmware for my writer.

I know for sure that there is no problem with the media because I was burning DVD's effortlessy until last week (Memorex 8x DVD+R's). I even tested the meda in other computers and they were readily detected and could be burned without much of a problem.

As of now, I think the only option i've got is to reformat my computer, but I would only like to resort to that if there really is no other option. Seeing as this is a Windows problem, this problem must have a solution!

If any of you can give me ideas on what to do, or can solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated! This problem is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

TemplarAssassin

P.S. Some info that might be helpful in solving the problem:

Computer: HP Media Center M480N (w/ an added ATi Radeon 9800Pro and 4.1 Sound Blaster sound card)
Firmware version: KH27

Edit: Here's what I see when I view my writer in "My Computer" when I have a blank disc inserted (well, it's like that with any disc).
[URL=********img91.echo.cx/my.php?image=dvdwriterproblem6qw.jpg][IMG]********img91.echo.cx/img91/2466/dvdwriterproblem6qw.th.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by TemplarAssassin; Apr 14, 2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 01:47 PM
Veteran

As of now, I think the only option i've got is to reformat my computer, but I would only like to resort to that if there really is no other option. [b]Seeing as this is a Windows problem, this problem must have a solution![/b]

Could it just be the drive has failed on the burning side of things ?

is it possible to try the drive in another PC, before you try a format ?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttapper
As of now, I think the only option i've got is to reformat my computer, but I would only like to resort to that if there really is no other option. [b]Seeing as this is a Windows problem, this problem must have a solution![/b]

Could it just be the drive has failed on the burning side of things ?

is it possible to try the drive in another PC, before you try a format ?

Hmm....I doubt it, because right now I just made a data disc on a CD-RW with no problems whatsoever. It just wont allow me to burn DVDs!!!

I'll be trying my drive in another computer soon to see if it really is a hardware problem.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 06:38 PM
Veteran

so there has been an improvement from your original post for some reason ?

[i]However, when trying to burn CD's, it recognizes the disc, but once you commence burning I immediately get a "Disc Terminated with Errors[/i]

your burner wouldn't originally burn CD or DVD, have you changed anything or tried anything. How old is the burner ?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttapper
so there has been an improvement from your original post for some reason ?

[i]However, when trying to burn CD's, it recognizes the disc, but once you commence burning I immediately get a "Disc Terminated with Errors[/i]

your burner wouldn't originally burn CD or DVD, have you changed anything or tried anything. How old is the burner ?
The burner is under a year old. I haven't changed anything, besides installing an ASPI layer.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 02:35 PM

Default Same Type of Problem

I'm having the same type of problem. I initially had only a Sony DRU-710A in my system that was writing DVDs just fine Suddenly it only recognized blank DVDs as CDs. It will still burn to blank CDs without any problems and will also play all DVD & CD Media.

I made sure I had the latest firmware update for the drive but it was still an issue. I uninstalled Nero InCD and have completely uninstalled Nero 6.6, used Nero's clean uninstall utility and then installed Nero 7.0. The drive still wouldn't recognize a blank DVD.

I then purchased a brand new drive to add (as a slave on the IDE channel) into the system. This is a Mad Dog MD-18XTLI. It also won't recognize blank DVDs but reads DVD media and reads/burns CD without any problems. Ive confirmed that it has the latest firmware.

I have tried several types of DVD+R & DVD+RW blank media and all is the same. Yes I normally use verbatim media so please don't tell me that it is a problem with the blank media. The same media (from the same spindle pack) used to be recognized just fine.

I've seen some posts on other forums blaming this on a Windows XP update (I'm running Windows XP Professional) but I have yet to find a fix for it. I've contact Microsoft and they are stumped also.

Lastly, I've tried uninstalling and reintalling the drives themselves from the system. No luck with that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.