CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 31, 2006, 03:58 PM

Default Disc is (nearly) empty, but Nero say's it's full!

sponsored links

Here's a problem for you guys to figure out:

I am using Windows XP. I tried to burn a CD-R using Nero 7.0.1.4, but there was a track focus (or some such) error within the first few seconds. I ejected the Cd, noted that almost nothing was burned on it, and put it back into the drive to try again. However, Nero now says that the disc is full. Apparently, it seems that Nero burned the file information (2 data files) on the CD, but not the files themselves. (The data should have taken up about 680 Megs, but only 2 Megs were actually burned.....Nero told me that much!). So, here I am with a CD with 2 Megs of information on it, but effectively 680 Megs. Crap.

So, next I tried CDRoller 6.01. I performed a Test Disc on the offending CD, and here's the significant portion of the results:

Volume size seems to be suspicious, descriptor says 351510 blocks while length of the track(s) is 30 blocks.
There are 0 accessible files and 2 directories contained in the track.
There are 2 files that seems to be placed on this track but really are not recorded on any CD track, or volume size is incorrectly recorded.

I tried to brun the same files on the same disc with Alcohol 120, and
burnatonce. Both piece of software tell me that the CD is full. Examining the CD with Windows Explorer shows the files that were supposed to have been burned, but they're empty files. Explorer also says the CD contains about 680 Megs.
Is there any way around this? I would like to actually USE this CD, instead of tossing away effectively over 600 Megs of disc space. I know this is an awful lot of trouble over one CD, but I think this is an interesting problem that would help in the future. I'm sure you guys are intelligent enough to figure this out, and not take the lazy route of "Bad CD? Toss it, they're disposable!" So, can anyone please help?
Old Feb 02, 2006, 07:03 AM

Once you get any sort of burn failure the CD is a coaster.

The only option you have is to toss it in the bin.
Old Feb 03, 2006, 07:05 PM

I guess I'm willing to accept the loss of a CD. (still frustrating, tho....grrr)

But...

It happened again! This is the second time in three days. I've never had this problem before. What do you suppose could be happening. I'm burning with Nero 7.0.1.4, at 12x speed. I only burn with no other programs running (except maybe explorer and the Asus probe monitor porgram for my motherboard - both have never caused problems in the past). What do you guys and gals think?